Author Topic: allotments in the Grauniad  (Read 2339 times)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
allotments in the Grauniad
« on: October 01, 2005, 21:42:53 »
George Monbiot apparently has five - and has written an amusing article in today's Grauniad

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,1582166,00.html

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: allotments in the Grauniad
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 07:15:04 »
Yes - only just saw it while making the tea this am.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 10:58:30 »
Brave man!  It shows what a bit of organisation and dedication can do though.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Maddy

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 11:33:34 »
Has anyone read any of his books?  Captive State: The Corporate Takeover of Britain is a fantastic, thoroughly enjoyable, wet yourself scarey, read.

Synopsis below:

A devastating indictment of the corruption at the heart of the British State by one of our most popular media figures.

George Monbiot made his name exposing the corruption of foreign governments; now he turns his keen eye on Britain. In the most explosive book on British politics of the new decade, Monbiot uncovers what many have suspected but few have been able to prove: that corporations have become so powerful they now threaten the foundations of democratic government.

Many of the stories George Monbiot recounts have never been told before, and they could scarcely be more embarrassing to a government that claims to act on behalf of all of us. Some are - or should be - resigning matters. Effectively, the British government has collaborated in its own redundancy, by ceding power to international bodies controlled by corporations. Captive State highlights the long term threat to our society and ultimately shows us ways in which we can hope to withstand the might of big business.

M.

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 12:54:51 »
...and he's here too:

http://www.monbiot.com/
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 13:21:13 »
I've got 'The Age of Consent', which proposes a possible way of imposing genuine democracy on the system from below. Let's face it, we'll never get it from power-mad politicians.

dirtyfingernails

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 13:49:57 »
sorry but am I the only one who read the article and thought "huh - so it's THAT easy then!"! (having spent hours this week digging up massive weeds, and still only got 1/3 of lottie dug even though had it since June? and only have one!) it just annoyed me a bit, 4 of his lotties only had fruit trees on (which is a bit greedy don't you think taking 4 lotties when there's long waiting lists everywhere) and most of us don't have the luxury of being able to wait 18 months before even digging and then spending £250 in one go to make the lottie lovely - arrgghh!.

anyway, enough ranting! am eating my lovely leeks and potatoes with my roast chicken dinner in a bit so that should soothe the soul

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 08:16:38 »
Nothing wrong with growing fruit trees on an allotment that I can see. OK, the guy got several plots, but from what he says most of them are on a badly neglected site.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 11:21:30 »
And roped in a load of friends to help. And dug a 2ft trench around his entire allotment. Huh. Would rather read about a real person facing a real allotment - ie by themselves barely coping with one.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal