Author Topic: biting insects and dilemmas  (Read 3251 times)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
biting insects and dilemmas
« on: September 08, 2005, 08:33:25 »
Has anyone else found this year to be particularly bad for getting bitten?

I am very susceptible, and it is the prize irony that I try and grow organically without any chemicals on the plants but have to spray myself from head to foot with somewhat noxious jungle formula to have half a chance of being able to sleep for bites! I had 17 after one trip to the lottie and didn't sleep for 3 days...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: biting insects and dilemmas
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 09:13:27 »
Hello, MB,

This year I've been spraying myself with Avon Skin-So-Soft dry oil body spray after reading that it, apparently, isn't liked by biting things. And certainly, not only have I not been picking up the bites I have in previous years, I've been able to do things I've NEVER ever been foolhardy enough to try before....like blackberrying under overhanging trees at dusk ::)

It's really working for me and I've just bought 4 more bottles. Give it a try?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 09:44:24 »
I've got some of that somewhere but can't find it - suspect my niece took it to Malta  :(   The Avon Skin so soft Woodland stuff has citronella in it and it's tried and tested and keeps bugs at bay.  It's very good on the skin too.  It gets sprayed on stable walls and ear tips of animals, my dog included, to keep flies off etc. 

It's only the Woodland one though  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 10:16:21 »
Does Boots/Superdrug sell it - or do we go online?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 10:59:20 »
It's only available from Avon Cosmetics and they are online.  Their glycerine and silicone handcream is fabulous too and I buy loads as my hands are so dry.  Best I've ever used and I've tried thousands of brands (literally)  They are the only company who I've found sell antibacterial hand gel which is great for the lotty when you've got no clean water you can still have clean hands for when you'r eating your sarnis.  You just squeeze a bit onto your filthy hands and no water is required  :)  I also get for the shed (from Avon again) anti bac hand wipes too. 

The oil spray is very fine and not greasy - it's Woodland fragrance Skin So soft.  Hope you like it  :)

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 11:09:54 »
Hi MB
Yes Ive been bitten the littel buggers seem to get everwhere.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 22:09:11 »
I usually get bitten a lot, but my sister bought me some oil of citronella and I put it on my clothes, which seems to have worked. Looks like it's the same stuff that's in the Avon cream.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 09:57:04 »
The Avon stuff is a spray oil.  It comes out very fine so isn't greasy.  I put a bit on me dog's ear tips and the between his shoulder blades where he can't lick.  This is when he's with me on the plot as I don't want him getting bitten either  :)  They do say if you eat enough garlic the nasties avoid you but then so does everyone  ;D

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 10:07:14 »
If the skin-so-soft doesn't keep em at bay, or you haven't got any yet, make up some chamomile tea + keep it in the fridge to dab on you bites - works a treat!

Also, you could try a product called Shoo - not got quite so many of the really nasty chems in + is supposed to be the best, even against The Highland Midge (eek!!!)
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 10:37:54 »
Ooh I bet the cham tea is right refreshing.  Not bad to drink either  :)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 09:00:49 »
mmmm thanks for the suggestions folks. I went up Friday to pick stuff before haring up the M1 to the parents, and in half an hour I still managed to get bitten.  Getting a bit fed up!

Course the hubby, who tends to think he'll explode if exposed to daylight, doesn't get touched. Grrr.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 15:38:27 »
I was once told that Marmite was the thing, eating it that is, not spreading it on. Wasn't told the quantities needed though & I've never really tested it tho' I am partial to the stuff.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 16:14:31 »
I have been bitten more than ever this year and have had at least four bites that have ended up as huge swellings about 6" diameter and very painful/itchy.  It is driving me mad, anti histamines don't seem to touch them.  And I eat a lot of marmite - think the bugs around here must like marmite!

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 16:29:40 »
Ah well, that theory goes out of the window then.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 22:52:42 »
Beejay   Garlic, eat lots of it and no insect will go near you.  No peeps will either but at least you won't get bitten  :)

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 08:40:18 »
By whom.........?
 I was reading an article by Raymand Blanc yesterday about how those great garlic eaters the French are using less whilst us Brits are dramatically increasing our consumption. We however bother about what we smell like whilst they have never given a toss.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 09:40:06 »
I bet Americans don't eat garlic at all as they are obsessed by what they smell like  ;D

I give garlic to my doggy with his din dins as it's meant to repel fleas  :o  It's good for his heart too  :)

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 13:12:26 »
I wonder if my cats..................?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal