Author Topic: Heuchra  (Read 4834 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Heuchra
« on: June 19, 2005, 11:51:24 »
I am in need of urgent answer do Heuchra grow in full shade,or full sun please.
I have had them before but they died on me well one did, so i must get this right
it is looking great but i am not sure about this hot sun. ;D ;D.

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Heuchra
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 12:30:47 »
It is going to be one of those 'it all dpends answers' sorry.
So, it all dpends on the amount of water available to the plant, in a damp soil they will tolerate more sun than in a dry soil. The best ones we have are growing in dappled shade around the base of an apple tree.  None of them are particularly long lived and need propagating on a very regular basis anyway.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 13:02:04 »
I have most of mine growing in full sun, and they do fine - although this is Cornwall and we do have plenty of rain too.  The only one I have problems with is 'Amber Waves' it never seems to do any good with me at all, and it's a shame as it looks great when first planted on the 'hot bed'.

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 13:48:39 »
I've had to transfer my amber waves to a pot.....the slugs loved it, I'm trying to rescue it, I've one tiny leaf so might be lucky. They do like sun, but like it moist, they don't seem to thrive in deep shade.well they thrive but not flower.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 22:44:25 »
HIYA Mary!!!

I know S-all about most non-edibles, but strangely ??? the one I do know about growing is heuchera, just because my mum had it & I dug it up & brought it with me when she had to leave her house...

SO!!! Mine's realllllly tolerant of all conditions and even neglect ;)   I've got it growing in deep shade + poor soil under a rosemary bush (OK, OK, the poor love strives really hard to push out its flower stalks to the sun, but it manages OK); then I've got it in reallllly boggy conditions in full sun + water + being trampled/sat on by the resident frog/toad population & it's thriving there also; then it's edging one of the lawns...really heavy clay soil that dries out to half-brick clumps...............and STILL it produces  :o YEPP!! For a non-flower gardener, reckon that heuchera's my specialized subject  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And PS...that's the 'regular' AND the bronzed-leaf one  8) Cheers! Lish xxx

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 22:55:46 »
Same here. I have four heucheras all growing in different conditions, same as above, all thriving.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 23:29:35 »
Thanks Lish, lovely to hear from you, i shall just leave it where it is then and torment you with questions should it start to play up ::), it looks very healthy at present in full sun.  Cheers  Mary. ;D ;D

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 23:35:53 »
Reckon they'll put up with most conditions.  My three, acquired only 3 months ago, have gone potty and outgrown my generous spacing allowance.  They are in complete shade until about 4pm in soil that's been under concrete for 20 years or so.  The rose I also planted shows signs of needing extra nutrients and the lilies of the valley have failed to surface at all.  Only the digitalis alba likes it as much as the heucheras in our front garden. :D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 16:48:00 »
I have two purple heucheras in my central bed (full sun all day). One of them is slightly shaded by other plants. Both are doing really well. Oh and this bed is very wet all winter and dry all summer (clay).
gone to pot :D

Whitty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 17:57:22 »
I have one, in a very dry bed (all the moisture sucked out of it by a nearby bay tree, and a neighbour's elderberry tree) that has full sun for the first few hours of the morning, then is in shade for the rest of the day.

Despite my apparent best efforts to kill  ;D it last year by absentmindedly forgetting to water it very often, plus a through mauling by slugs, it is now thriving and is even flowering. I have to say I'm very chuffed and am looking to buy some more for another shady bed in my garden.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 13:29:04 »
um.. actually my heuchera in full sun isn't too happy with all the dryness and heat at the moment. Some of the leaves are edged with brown patches. Must water it more often (I tend to neglect my established borders water-wise, other than the odd bucket of bath water once a week when it's really hot!)
gone to pot :D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 20:21:08 »
Amber waves is not a very good plant, fades in sunlight, rots in shade. We gave up on it a few years ago. Now we use marmalade which is similar but puts up with light or shade. If you want some sunny ones try greenfinch or starry night, if you have shade go for key lime pie.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal