Author Topic: Raised bed materials  (Read 1462 times)

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
Raised bed materials
« on: June 15, 2005, 14:12:59 »
My garden floor seems like dust covered concrete as its a new build and not really suitable to grow in - especially as it seems to have been filled with old bits of brick and everyting else.

i would like to make raised beds of varying heights for various fruit and veg.

Was thinking of using scaffolding planks - would these be OK. I though they might rot too much but wondered if they can be covered with some waterproof material that also covers the ground with holes in the bottom for drainage.

For carrots etc I would use 2 high on their edge held together by some kind of metal brace (i can picture it in my head - words may not be clear though!).

If this is wrong, do you have any other ideas? I have seen some plastic quick-lock type ones which are stackable but they are quite expensive.
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Raised bed materials
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 14:27:54 »
Lots of different materials can be used to make a raised edging including simply mounding up turf. If you use wood, don't cover it with anything, it will rot faster if you do!

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 14:31:33 »
OK,

I will just strap them together, fill it with compost and see how it goes!
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 11:16:57 »
OK,

I will just strap them together, fill it with compost and see how it goes!

You'd be better off with topsoil and compost mixes - otherwise your resulting medium won't have enough structure for some plants eg brassicas.  I've got raised beds made out of everything from scrap bits to a couple of scaffold planks, with the corners held together with angle brackets. The wood warps if you don't use them!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal