Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Edible Plants / Ideas on a small cordless tiller for raised beds?
« Last post by George the Pigman on February 19, 2024, 19:52:23 »
I am thinking of getting a small very light cordless tiller to do my 8ft by 4ft raised beds. Really just breaking up the soil for planting and sowing etc. Has anyone any recommendations. I was thinking of getting an extra battery with it.
The Shed / Re: pushed for space
« Last post by Tee Gee on February 12, 2024, 12:29:50 »
I found the vertical growing method quite a beneficial way to grow squash.

https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/S/Squash/Squash.htm
Non Edible Plants / Re: Why don't my Eranthis survive?
« Last post by Tee Gee on February 12, 2024, 12:26:09 »
Might be my imagination but I am putting similar instances down to the time spring bulbs die back,i.e. the period they replenish their bulb/ corms for the following year.

I have noticed that in recent years the period from mid- March to mid- May (what used to be the normal die back period)has been much warmer than it used to be, and the ‘ Die back process’  is much quicker.

In my opinion the bulbs are not being adequately replenished because of this resulting often in poorer growth/ more blind plants.

In the past I used to work on around a 6 weeks die back period now I have seen it at less than 3 weeks.

As I say this is only an observation, what do you think?

Edible Plants / Re: Potato Days
« Last post by saddad on February 11, 2024, 20:24:06 »
The Epicure I ordered from Robinsons arrived on Friday, and I have found many "pages" for Carlingford but sold out as noted above.
Edible Plants / Re: Seed Saving Circle 2023
« Last post by galina on February 10, 2024, 13:31:17 »
Just got to open and gaze at my marvellous seed package.  Thank you everybody so much.  Can't wait to start this year. 
Edible Plants / Re: Potato Days
« Last post by Tiny Clanger on February 09, 2024, 11:28:07 »
Not tried Robinsons for potatoes. Have purchased onion seeds from them this time. They're  very helpful if you're  new to seed onions. Their news letter is helpful too. Never trued those varieties  of potato, but will look out for them x
Edible Plants / Re: Davington Epicure Toms
« Last post by galina on February 07, 2024, 14:57:48 »
I give every old seed at least 3 weeks.  Glad you got two seedlings, much better than just the one.  Good luck with them ongoing Nick.  And hope they turn out as good as you remember in the different climate of Portugal too. 
The Shed / Re: imbolc
« Last post by ACE on February 06, 2024, 19:32:41 »
bit of an echo in here
Non Edible Plants / Re: Why don't my Eranthis survive?
« Last post by Palustris on February 06, 2024, 16:35:21 »
They grew like weeds in our son's garden in Cambridgeshire which was clay over chalk, so very different to ours here.
Have you ever tried growing them from seeds? The seed needs to be sown when green for good germination.
They need fertile, humus-rich soil that remains moist in summer. Odd, my soil is poor, humus lacking and dries out in summer. No understanding of it.
The Shed / Re: imbolc
« Last post by Tiny Clanger on February 06, 2024, 16:20:07 »
Definite change in the sunlight Ace. Always pays to show respect. New season well on the way now. Here's to a good year x
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal