collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 239
  • Dot Spiders: 5
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0
  • Dot Users Online:
  • user Google (AdSense) (2)
  • user Google (3)
  • Dot users are in chat:: 0

* Search

* Recent Topics

topic Well-being
[The Shed]
saddad
Yesterday at 23:45:16
topic planting weather
[Edible Plants]
tricia
Yesterday at 12:35:03
topic Growing tomatoes from seed
[Edible Plants]
Obelixx
May 16, 2021, 16:05:57
topic butternuts
[Edible Plants]
Obelixx
May 16, 2021, 11:10:40
topic Identification of probably a weed
[Non Edible Plants]
Digeroo
May 15, 2021, 22:28:12
picman
Yesterday at 13:58:02 by picman
Views: 80 | Comments: 4

I had to smile watching the BBCs bit this morning on “well-being” gardening, don’t get me wrong , gardening has many healthy benefits, and people should try to cultivate gardens however small. It struck me journalists in the media have this ‘rose tinted’ view of horticulture, they fail mentioning the seeds that never germinate, the plants that get eaten by bugs, birds, rabbits etc etc, or even having a constant battle with slugs , snails, various colours of fly, etc etc, then there are a million plant diseases and fungi that want to benefit from your hard work, plus coping  with frost, heatwave, floods or drought. Even then if your still getting some well-being by digging, hoeing, raking, pruning till it hurts, the weeds take every opportunity to spoil it .. but hey that first new potato on your dinner plate makes it all worth while ..         
ACE
Yesterday at 07:22:34 by ACE
Views: 126 | Comments: 3

Planting every morning now, we seem to have a rain pattern happening this week. Sunny mornings and rain starting about tea time. saves a lot of messing about with the watering can. So far climbing beans, curly kale, sprouts, cauli and celeriac. Dwarf beans going in this morning.  I hope it is the same again next week so I can start planting the courgettes and squash.   The poly is nice and warm and the tomatoes are starting to flower, they are nearly self watering as I shake the condensation off every morning before it evaporates. I'll open the vents next week to keep it dryer otherwise the blight will find perfect conditions.
ACE
May 15, 2021, 11:10:19 by ACE
Views: 325 | Comments: 5

For me they are usually very slow germinators, not this year. I popped them in last week in the greenhouse, nothing showing although most of the other squash are starting to show. I put them on the heated mat in the conservatory on thursday every one of them showing signs of life today. I'll move them back  to the greenhouse tomorrow and start the turks head on the mat. As usual the patty pan, courgettes and pumpkins have romped away.
May 12, 2021, 22:01:33 by gray1720 | Views: 396 | Comments: 7

I seem to kill more seeds than I germinate, and this baby was no different - one seedling came up! But it's in bloom now!

Amazon

* Allotment Gallery

Day 20
Allotment Gallery
Views: 519
By: Spireite

* Allotment Wiki

* Calendar

May 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15