Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Edible Plants / Re: Frost damage to potato's
« Last post by Tee Gee on Today at 16:54:31 »
I used to earth them up after they appeared above the soil then I earthed them by burying them again. This gave me another 2-3 weeks for them to appear again when hopefully all the late frosts were over. I sometimes think this method gave me an extra truss of potatoes with the earthing up.
« Last post by lezelle on Today at 13:58:03 »
Hi BarriedaleNick, Thanks for your reply it has upped my confidence no end. I will keep a close eye on them and the weather. I have never had this happen before and those in a pot in the greenhouse are lovely. Thanks again
« Last post by BarriedaleNick on Today at 09:12:10 »
They normally come back - they might be delayed by a couple of weeks but you should still see a crop..
Edible Plants / Frost damage to potato's
« Last post by lezelle on Today at 08:43:57 »
Good morning all,
                          I went to my plot yesterday and noticed my early potato's have suffered frost damage and the leaves are are burnt. I must of missed the forecast for frost and I'm wondering if the plants will recover. They are on open ground and I see that some have been frosted on pots so I am fingers crossed that mine will recover. Any advice would be most welcome. I am annoyed with my error and missing the forecast. Thanks to all in advance.
Edible Plants / Re: Thunderbirds are go....
« Last post by Paulh on April 27, 2024, 19:20:28 »
Now planted out my broad beans, mangetouts and peas, the potatoes are showing and the onions and garlic look good. Waiting nervously for the tomatoes, courgettes and squash to germinate. I was going to sow brassicas and cucumbers this weekend, but it's still cold and other things have got in the way.
« Last post by Obelixx on April 27, 2024, 15:22:43 »
Nearly all my tomato seeds popped between 4 and 11 days after sowing but are growing very slowly now as it's so cool.

All the squashes and courgettes popped in 4 days and have been rpicked out but the 2 out of 4 cucumber seedlings which germinated got eaten.  i've bought a plant to get ahead of the game.

Cavolo nero, PSB, garlic kale, 2 basils and some coriander, little gem, ruby chard and choggia beets have all done well and I'll finish pricking those out today and tomorrow but have no shelf space left and it's too cold for babies to go outside. 

Not one of my chillies has appeared, despite bottom heat.

Didn't get my potatoes planted till this week but now they've been generously watered by unexpected rain they should grow away quickly.   The beds we'd cleared for them and other veg had to be tickled again as they'd developed a crust.   Hard to make head or tail of this weather and these temperatures.
« Last post by saddad on April 27, 2024, 13:11:28 »
Parsnips and carrots I planted at the start of the month are finally coming through...
Despite the cool weather the soil is warming up...
Edible Plants / Re: Not long now!
« Last post by lezelle on April 22, 2024, 12:55:38 »
Hi Ya, Looking good. I see you have relocated to Portugal. What has the weather been like for you? The weather here has been atrocious and everything is way behind. Well on y area anyway. I am looking to get more things moving but with frost and the heavy rain I am unsure which way to turn. We have had sunshine but the breeze has taken the temperature well down. Still we will catch you up eventually. Good luck all
Edible Plants / Re: Not long now!
« Last post by saddad on April 22, 2024, 12:06:19 »
Humph!
Edible Plants / Not long now!
« Last post by BarriedaleNick on April 22, 2024, 08:36:23 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal