Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Edible Plants / Re: Thunderbirds are go....
« Last post by Paulh on Today at 19:20:28 »
Now planted out my broad beans, mangetouts and peas, the potatoes are showing and the onions and garlic look good. Waiting nervously for the tomatoes, courgettes and squash to germinate. I was going to sow brassicas and cucumbers this weekend, but it's still cold and other things have got in the way.
« Last post by Obelixx on Today at 15:22:43 »
Nearly all my tomato seeds popped between 4 and 11 days after sowing but are growing very slowly now as it's so cool.

All the squashes and courgettes popped in 4 days and have been rpicked out but the 2 out of 4 cucumber seedlings which germinated got eaten.  i've bought a plant to get ahead of the game.

Cavolo nero, PSB, garlic kale, 2 basils and some coriander, little gem, ruby chard and choggia beets have all done well and I'll finish pricking those out today and tomorrow but have no shelf space left and it's too cold for babies to go outside. 

Not one of my chillies has appeared, despite bottom heat.

Didn't get my potatoes planted till this week but now they've been generously watered by unexpected rain they should grow away quickly.   The beds we'd cleared for them and other veg had to be tickled again as they'd developed a crust.   Hard to make head or tail of this weather and these temperatures.
« Last post by saddad on Today at 13:11:28 »
Parsnips and carrots I planted at the start of the month are finally coming through...
Despite the cool weather the soil is warming up...
Edible Plants / Re: Not long now!
« Last post by lezelle on April 22, 2024, 12:55:38 »
Hi Ya, Looking good. I see you have relocated to Portugal. What has the weather been like for you? The weather here has been atrocious and everything is way behind. Well on y area anyway. I am looking to get more things moving but with frost and the heavy rain I am unsure which way to turn. We have had sunshine but the breeze has taken the temperature well down. Still we will catch you up eventually. Good luck all
Edible Plants / Re: Not long now!
« Last post by saddad on April 22, 2024, 12:06:19 »
Humph!
Edible Plants / Not long now!
« Last post by BarriedaleNick on April 22, 2024, 08:36:23 »
Edible Plants / Re: Seed Saving Circle 2023
« Last post by JanG on April 19, 2024, 06:38:54 »
Thank you so much Galina and JanG for your advice!
Galina, I remembered reading about the toothpick trick somewhere... turns out it was in one of your posts from the link JanG shared. Haha! I love that forum and I must have read through it several times. It's such a shame it's not that active anymore (and I'm a few years late...).

I'll pot on the seedlings over the next few days, choosing a majority of the darkest stems and just a few greens because I'm curious! (The fact I don't have enough room for the hundreds of seedlings accumulating all over the place is a problem for another day...  :toothy10:)

I very much identify with your feeling of flirting with impending chaos over the number of seedlings accumulating - a slightly reckless enjoyment mixed with a pushed away awareness that some culling will have to happen at some point. We can enjoy the profusion for the time being!

And I too regret that GFSS is no longer really active (although it’s possible still to post and you are almost certain to get a response) and that I came a little late, but, as you suggest, it is a mine of useful, interesting, and inspiring content.
« Last post by juliev on April 18, 2024, 10:14:24 »
Thank you so much Galina and JanG for your advice!
Galina, I remembered reading about the toothpick trick somewhere... turns out it was in one of your posts from the link JanG shared. Haha! I love that forum and I must have read through it several times. It's such a shame it's not that active anymore (and I'm a few years late...).

I'll pot on the seedlings over the next few days, choosing a majority of the darkest stems and just a few greens because I'm curious! (The fact I don't have enough room for the hundreds of seedlings accumulating all over the place is a problem for another day...  :toothy10:)

« Last post by JanG on April 17, 2024, 07:18:05 »
I agree with Galina that growing potatoes from seed is an enjoyable exploration and you might well be experimenting for a few years with the small tubers you get this year. I grew potatoes from seed in 2020 (and again this year from Galina’s seed like you) and I’m still taste testing and narrowing down what was produced that year. I had 40+ varieties the first year and have narrowed down to about ten now. Of course what you grow on depends a lot on what space you can give them.

To go to your original question, Juliev, I would narrow down to one per cell at some point. If you’re hoping for inky potatoes as in the images on the Airtable base and earlier on this thread, I would narrow down to the ones with darkest stems and leaves but you might want to go for a range. I think potting on after a while before finally planting them out is definitely a good idea so that you’re planting out reasonably strong plants. You can bury them quite deep if they get a bit leggy and that helps to strengthen them too. I love seeing tiny potatoes developing in the pot before planting out! You might find this thread helpful and interesting when I asked similar questions and got advice on early stages in 2020.
https://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.co.uk/forum/main-forum/potatoes/2039-growing-potatoes-from-true-potato-seeds-tps

But I hope you get lots of fun out of them and that Galina and I haven’t complicated matters too much with our enthusiasm! They’re good survivors with a will to grow, even though they look delicate in the early stages.
Non Edible Plants / Re: Narcissus
« Last post by jesssands on April 16, 2024, 11:32:30 »
Thank you both for tips.
I will get them outside.
There's so many squeezing into a round pot its almost square!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal