collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 116
  • Dot Spiders: 67
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:
  • Dot users are in chat:: 0

* Search

* Recent Topics

BarriedaleNick
Today at 17:28:46 by BarriedaleNick
Views: 0 | Comments: 0

The votes are in!

And the winner is Peanuts with picture 5!  I knew it was a winner when I first saw it.  Peanuts gets to choose the next topic but seriously someone else will have to step up and do this.  I just don't seem to have any time any more.

Here are the rest of the runners and riders..

Picture 1 - TeeGee with 4 Votes (19%)

Picture 2 - Barriedalenick with 3 Votes (14.3%)

Picture 3 - Nora42 with 4 Votes (19%)

Picture 4 - poppymole with 1 Vote (4.8%)

Picture 5 - Peanuts with 8 Votes (38.1%)

Picture 6 - Johnnyco15 with 1 Vote (4.8%)
Yesterday at 18:19:28 by DrJohnH | Views: 106 | Comments: 2

What a story!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/16/canadian-woman-engagement-ring-carrot

My mum lost a ring while gardening when I was little- and dug it up many years later- but not quite like this!
George the Pigman
Yesterday at 16:40:41 by George the Pigman
Views: 93 | Comments: 3

For the last few years I have had problems with my cauliflower curds going light brown. It's a general discolouration on the top and below they look OK. From the web it looks like boron deficiency and they recommend using borax. In the old days you used to get this from the chemist but I not sure whether they sell it now. Does standard tomato feed or seaweed feed have boron in it? If not what do I use?
antipodes
Yesterday at 13:24:38 by antipodes
Views: 181 | Comments: 10

Hello to A4Aers, sorry I have not been visiting the site recently! Life is in a bit of a whirl this year. Since my separation in 2015, I now have a new partner in crime. As my (rather grown up) kids live one week with me and the next at their dad's, I share my time between my flat and my OH's house, where we have a huge veggie garden.  So at the end of the season I am giving up my allotment so we can concentrate on our veggies. I am not sorry to leave my site, as the atmosphere has changed there, there is a new site manager and I cannot stand her, I find her totally patronising. She doesn't understand at all that you can garden in many different ways (her plot has no mulch, not a blade of grass and she is allowed to hose with a pipe because of a "medical condition"..?) so she has constantly nagged me because I do not remove the green waste from my plot, but rather put it back into the ground. As I am just waiting to move my plants after summer, this year I just did spuds, beans and tomatoes. Constant heatwave and drought has not given much of a crop! I explained that I am leaving, and that I am just waiting to shift my plants so I am only biding my time on the plot before I dig it all over. But she still makes remarks all the time. So I will be pleased to go, even though it will be sad to dig up all my nice plants.
I am rather looking for advice on how to do that. I have to shift - artichokes, rhubarb, gooseberry, raspberry, herbs and a rather large grapevine.   When should I do this, keeping in mind that it has to be December at latest ? Should I prune any before ?

With my new OH, we have had a great tomato crop, cukes, beans are in fits and starts and the spuds were rubbish. We have some beautiful winter squash though, and the autumn crops like leeks, beets, chard etc are looking all right so far. My fella is a hard worker and he has done lots of work on the soil (clay mostly), which we will continue over time. My ex could not stand my allotment - now with my new fella, we are always working the garden or we just wander round and admire it. We also keep chickens, geese and ducks, a dog and two cats, real country bumpkins!

I hope that all you guys are as happy as I am now and that your gardens have filled you with joy this season.  I will try to hang around A4A a bit more regularly now!
Antipodes

Amazon

* Allotment Gallery

Aug 2008
Allotment Gallery
Views: 555
By: Duke Ellington

* Allotment Wiki

* Calendar

August 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5