collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 179
  • Dot Spiders: 62
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:
  • Dot users are in chat:: 0

* Search

* Recent Topics

antipodes
Today at 13:24:38 by antipodes
Views: 18 | Comments: 2

Hello to A4Aers, sorry I have not been visiting the site recently! Life is in a bit of a whirl this year. Since my separation in 2015, I now have a new partner in crime. As my (rather grown up) kids live one week with me and the next at their dad's, I share my time between my flat and my OH's house, where we have a huge veggie garden.  So at the end of the season I am giving up my allotment so we can concentrate on our veggies. I am not sorry to leave my site, as the atmosphere has changed there, there is a new site manager and I cannot stand her, I find her totally patronising. She doesn't understand at all that you can garden in many different ways (her plot has no mulch, not a blade of grass and she is allowed to hose with a pipe because of a "medical condition"..?) so she has constantly nagged me because I do not remove the green waste from my plot, but rather put it back into the ground. As I am just waiting to move my plants after summer, this year I just did spuds, beans and tomatoes. Constant heatwave and drought has not given much of a crop! I explained that I am leaving, and that I am just waiting to shift my plants so I am only biding my time on the plot before I dig it all over. But she still makes remarks all the time. So I will be pleased to go, even though it will be sad to dig up all my nice plants.
I am rather looking for advice on how to do that. I have to shift - artichokes, rhubarb, gooseberry, raspberry, herbs and a rather large grapevine.   When should I do this, keeping in mind that it has to be December at latest ? Should I prune any before ?

With my new OH, we have had a great tomato crop, cukes, beans are in fits and starts and the spuds were rubbish. We have some beautiful winter squash though, and the autumn crops like leeks, beets, chard etc are looking all right so far. My fella is a hard worker and he has done lots of work on the soil (clay mostly), which we will continue over time. My ex could not stand my allotment - now with my new fella, we are always working the garden or we just wander round and admire it. We also keep chickens, geese and ducks, a dog and two cats, real country bumpkins!

I hope that all you guys are as happy as I am now and that your gardens have filled you with joy this season.  I will try to hang around A4A a bit more regularly now!
Antipodes
Today at 09:11:34 by strawberry1 | Views: 43 | Comments: 3

Alexander F1 and how well they have performed, started much earlier than all others on the site. I planted them through weed fabric and the moisture has remained in the soil. They have now slowed down and are producing mostly male flowers , so are tired. I could feed them and perk them up but my plans include a green crop and phacelia fits in my rotation. So these last few courgettes will be left two more days and they will be out to make compost in my hotbin. I have processed vast numbers for the freezer, along with green beans,  ratatouille and I will be fed all winter. It has been manic picking but I am ready to slow down too

I have limited space, only 6 viable raised beds for veg on my plot 8 x 4 and no dig so green manure is vital, chopped down, turned over and covered, so easy
Borlotti
Yesterday at 18:41:07 by Borlotti
Views: 71 | Comments: 2

Had a good day at the allotment today, I must say that the people on my allotment are so lovely.  I think that is what makes it so pleasurable.  Picked raspberries, runner beans, french beans and left some cooking apples on the excess produce table.  Seem to be a lot of large marrows going spare. Also got a kiss of the cheek, free newspaper and lots of good chat.  :sunny: :sunny:
Garden Manager
Yesterday at 14:05:01 by Garden Manager
Views: 41 | Comments: 1

Just taken a load of semi ripe/heel cuttings from the likes of hebe, euonymusand lavender. First time for ages i have taken any cuttings.

I struck them into pots of seed compost and watered them in well afterwards. they are now inside a closed and shaded coldframe as i was unsure how bst to care for them until rooting occurs. In the past i have used plastic bags and unheated 'dome' propagator trays placed in the greenhouse but this hasnt always proved sucessfull as the greenhouse can get very hot and there is little spare space amoungst the summer crops!

I was wondering what methoud those of you who regularly take such cuttings find most successful. Ideally i would like to keep them in the coldframe but if there is something else i could do that would be better then i would like to find out about it.

Looking forward to replies.

Amazon

* Allotment Gallery

2nd crop potatoes
Allotment Gallery
Views: 454
By: Flunky

* Allotment Wiki

* Calendar

August 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5