collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 194
  • Dot Spiders: 59
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:
  • Dot users are in chat:: 0

* Search

* Recent Topics

ACE
Today at 09:02:55 by ACE
Views: 30 | Comments: 1

Did anybody watch Country File last night. I was interested to see soya being grown. I might give it a small trial next year. I eat a lot of soya products but it is mostly over produced and no taste. I thought using it like I use my usual beans cooked, mashed and reformed into whatever we are making might make it tastier and more interesting. Has anybody ever tried growing them. It did not look like a big producing plant, so I was also wandering if a small crop was viable.
ACE
Yesterday at 13:35:26 by ACE
Views: 72 | Comments: 2

I dug up all the old plants after the fruit stopped and made a new bed from the runners. Having been away for a few weeks I am starting to tidy up now for the winter. Weeded the new strawberry bed and found loads of green fruit, I cut them all off and deflowered a load more. I would rather the plants to be making roots than wasting energy on fruiting. I did also cut off loads of older leaves just leaving the juvenile ones, mainly to mark where the plants are so I whip around with the hoe now and again. Should I just let them hibernate now or should I give them a feed? They all had some chicken pellets when I planted the bed out but that was about 3 months ago. Everything else is also growing like it is spring, small tomato and potato plants, beans that have dropped, even a courgette, spring sprouting broccoli is in full swing and tons of annual weeds. Could do with a cold snap really.
Digeroo
Yesterday at 09:06:32 by Digeroo
Views: 100 | Comments: 1

Got Cyprus and Hamburg beans from HSL and both seem to have been good growing up sweetcorn.  Cyprus in particular produces a light vine and small tasty beans.  I grazed a lot raw.  But the sweet corn with beans growing up them did not get attacked by rats or whatever it was that where eating the cobs on our site.

The Cyprus beans dried to a very small pod, so took some finding.  But I ended up with 18 pods which will give me about 100 beans so many more than the 10 I started with.

And I got a great pumpkin.  Though it ended up under the red currants.
ACE
October 21, 2017, 12:07:29 by ACE
Views: 178 | Comments: 3

Went out for the onion sets and broad beans today. Mole Valley garden stuff cleared for Halloween, posh garden centre dressed out for xmas. An old sign the  hedge saying 'plants for sale' loose onions, beans by the pint and some interesting seed garlic. So red onions got, white onions got, shallots got, aquadulce got and 3 big garlic got. Too much of everything as usual and change from a fiver. Why don't they leave Halloween to the pound shop and at least wait until the end of nov. for xmas.

Amazon

* Allotment Gallery

Damselfly
Allotment Gallery
Views: 439
By: Leonnie

* Allotment Wiki

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14