Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Edible Plants / Re: Ideas on a small cordless tiller for raised beds?
« Last post by Deb P on February 24, 2024, 22:48:13 »
I had a look at my rake/ hoe this afternoon, it’s a Dakota made in Holland!

Searched online, it seems Dakota tools are now defunct, but the De Wit tools are also manufactured in Holland and do a ‘Sprake’ which is very similar……
« Last post by Deb P on February 24, 2024, 17:21:17 »
I had a look at my rake/ hoe this afternoon, it’s a Dakota made in Holland!
« Last post by Obelixx on February 24, 2024, 13:18:23 »
We use the Wolf multi-head system so have cultivator heads like Tee Gee's but also push-mepull-you double edged hoes and rakes in several sizes.  They're the tools we use most but there's also a lawn edge trimmer and many others.  We have short handles for close work plus medium and full length handles so we can both work on different bits of th eveg plot and garden.  Very easy to use and very easy to store.
« Last post by Deb P on February 24, 2024, 10:45:09 »
I hand dig out new perennial weeds then use a hoe for the small stuff left to dry out and die on the surface. When doing the early Spring getting beds ready purge I use a combi rake and hoe tool; I can’t remember the proper name or make for it, but I got it from a posh tool stand at one of the Tatton Park shows about 5 years ago, I think it’s Scandinavian? Long pale wood handle and beautifully made. I’ll try and track the make down!

It’s a Sneeboer & Zn thing…….I can’t find it on their online catalogue but I am now drooling over their other stuff….!
The Shed / Re: rowing
« Last post by Obelixx on February 22, 2024, 14:06:26 »
Well done him and good luck for his campaign for cleaner seas.

There's a chap from Lancahsire, aged 73, who's done the same thing raising 1/4 million for Alzheimer's research.

They're clearly all mad but to be admired for their courage and determination.
The Shed / Re: rowing
« Last post by ACE on February 22, 2024, 09:05:01 »
Well they made it alright, Zav my ocean rowing  godson will be on the telly again tonight on the Jewel in the Crown channel 5 about the Isle of Wight
« Last post by saddad on February 21, 2024, 16:51:06 »
We have several similar Tee Gee, we call the largest one "the plough"...
« Last post by Tee Gee on February 21, 2024, 11:12:58 »
This is the tool I have used for the last 30–40 years for jobs like you describe. (See attachments 1 &2)

There are many similar products to be had online, e.g.

Long shafted; https://www.charlies.co.uk/wilkinson-sword-1111119w-stainless-steel-3-prong-cultivator.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Jackson-Elements-Prong-Cultivator/dp/B004410DIU?th=1

Short Shafted; https://www.rhsplants.co.uk/product/_/dewit-3-tine-cultivator-ash-drop-grip-handle/classid.2000037652/

I just thought they were worth considering rather than lugging a piece of machinery onto your beds, plus the only thing that requires recharging is you! :glasses9:
« Last post by IanDH on February 20, 2024, 13:24:05 »
I use one of these - www.worldofwolf.co.uk/wolf-garten-multi-change-soil-miller-15cm-das for my raised beds - 12 x 4ft.  Only works the top 1 or 2 inch so does not break up soil structure and is really good for turning compost into the top layer. 

They seem to have pushed the price, but there may be some old stock or offer around to secure cheaper.
« Last post by Obelixx on February 20, 2024, 12:30:26 »
I just send out OH to remove any big weeds and then I hoe and rake as necessary.   Where possible, we now apply a layer of hardboard and then compost from the heaps as we're trying to limit soil disturbance and build up healthy levels of fertility and micro-organisms.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal