Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Well I've taken your advice and scrubbed the idea of getting a small powered rotavator. IanDH i actually have the Wolftool rotavator you mention in my allotment shed but have never used it! My late wife bought it for me as a present nearly 20 years ago so I am going to use that and a rake to attack the raised beds. The soil is good and we have added to the top good quality compost/soil improver so a couple of inches of cultivation should keep the good stuff on the top for germination and growth.
The bigger problem is a large potato growing area that does not consist of raised beds but is open. May end up just digging out the small number of weeds in it and planting the spuds anyway without much cultivation (I do have a medium sized powered rotavator).
However at present this area and even the raised beds are the height of sogginess. Need a few days without rain. Can you stop whoever is doing the rain dance!😂
Pests & Diseases / Re: Pigeons
« Last post by small on April 02, 2024, 15:23:27 »
I cut and ate fifteen on Sunday! Only about six inches high, but it's a turning point. The next will be first potatoes out of my sheltered buckets....
Edible Plants / Re: Thunderbirds are go....
« Last post by Obelixx on April 02, 2024, 12:53:30 »
I read a post online in another forum about aloe vera helping seeds germinate and another where baking soda is beneficial in dealing with fungi such as the one that causes damping off.  It's also supposed to make tomatoes sweeter if added to teh soil when planting so I'll be trying that too.

I'll let you know how I get on.
« Last post by Tee Gee on April 02, 2024, 12:37:33 »
Quote; I've watered them with a solutio of aloe vera and baking soda

That’s a new one on me. I would be interested to hear what you expect to achieve by it ?

The only time. I have been involved with baking soda in the garden was for soil testing.

The other ingredient was Vinegar which I also used for soil testing.

I look forward to learning something new.
« Last post by Obelixx on April 02, 2024, 11:58:07 »
Monday was so horrid here I declined getting soaked going down to the polytunnel.

Home alone today so I brought compost and coir pots etc into the kitchen and have sown 20 varieties of chilli, tomatoes, squashes and a cucumber.  They're all now on a heat mat in a bright window in the annex.   I've watered them with a solutio of aloe vera and baking soda to see if it helps withe germination and subsequent growth.
« Last post by saddad on April 02, 2024, 10:20:15 »
Al., spent hours pricking out yesterday, so we are off to get some more compost today!  :wave:
Pests & Diseases / Re: Pigeons
« Last post by saddad on April 02, 2024, 10:19:09 »
The flying rats have never gone for my asparagus before, and I have five early spears showing, so I'd better check them again today!
« Last post by Deb P on March 31, 2024, 12:58:08 »
I've resown some of my Bush tomatoes as they were too leggy when I transplanted them and I'm struggling to find enough room in the cold greenhouse with so much waiting to be hardened off outside.
Just as I was thinking I was ahead of my scheduled sowing list for the first time!
« Last post by Obelixx on March 29, 2024, 20:01:12 »
Haven't started mine yet as it's been so grey and dark here with interminable grey clouds and rain and cold.

Bit busy this weelend but hope to get some swon on Monday.
« Last post by George the Pigman on March 29, 2024, 19:18:03 »
Started tomatoes and peppers off two weeks ago in  a Vitopod with LED lights. Tomatoes came through first and peppers now starting to come up. They are always later! Still a couple of weeks at least before I can prick them out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal