Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
The Basics / Re: Sweetcorn
« Last post by gray1720 on Yesterday at 08:48:54 »
Butternut squash is an amazing size this year - but a fair few of  the pumpkins have managed to cross breed again   :BangHead:

Several of my Sweet Dumpling squash have gone two-tone, pale on top and green underneath - I wonder if that's the same thing, but these were sown from packet seed... Might have to have a nibble when I harvest, see if it's bitter....
« Last post by gray1720 on Yesterday at 08:47:10 »
That's sucks, Beersmith - they may be a PITallotmeteer'sA but they don't deserve that. I killed one earlier this year - it ran out so close in front that I'd hit it before I got to the brake, and I was only doing about 45 - and was really quite upset. At least I middled it with the sump and killed it outright. 
« Last post by Beersmith on September 27, 2021, 20:29:47 »
A very unhappy event.  I had harvested about two thirds of my sweetcorn. I went to pick the rest last Thursday but found I was too late.  Badgers had visited and eaten and demolished the lot.  I cursed them heartily.

Then on Sunday I visited to get some carrots only to find a dead Badger by the roadside near to the allotments. Obviously hit by a passing vehicle.  :sad1:

I found myself cursing again but for very different reasons.
The Gallery / Re: End of September garden
« Last post by pumpkinlover on September 24, 2021, 13:28:22 »
It's starting to take shape now Eric, notice the mini crevice garden.
It might be smaller than the last one but it is still a very good size garden.
Edible Plants / Re: Leeks am I too late?
« Last post by pumpkinlover on September 24, 2021, 13:17:32 »
Wonderful, thank you all, I feel hopeful this will work.
Will get some more done this afternoon.

« Last post by gray1720 on September 24, 2021, 08:23:30 »
Absolutely! I often use them instead of onions as a base for dishes as they are ready when the onions are long gone, doesn't matter how big they are in a stew.
Edible Plants / Re: Seed Saving Circle 2021
« Last post by Vetivert on September 23, 2021, 21:41:08 »
Thanks for the link. They advise not to cut while the pods are still green. Some are starting to take on a more autumnal colour, so I'll remain patient.

It's a very tasty vegetable. Hard to describe - very tender spring cabbage with a slight hint of mustard perhaps? it has the rapid growth of other Asian brassicas. Why it was dropped from British catalogues is beyond me.
The Gallery / End of September garden
« Last post by Palustris on September 23, 2021, 20:49:35 »
Thought you might like to see our place at the end of the Summer.
https://imgur.com/gallery/TCnSCr7
« Last post by Tulipa on September 23, 2021, 18:22:07 »
Hi, I have done that and still planted them out and got good leeks by April although not as big. Really useful for leeks au gratin...roll in a slice of ham, pour cheese sauce over the top and bake in the oven.  And who knows what size they were when sautÚd or in soup... It is better to use them than throw them away now then have to go out and buy some :)
The Basics / Re: Plot secretary
« Last post by Tee Gee on September 23, 2021, 17:02:21 »
Ours was quite a simple chore in so far as the site secretary was basically a 'liaison' between the plot holders and the head of the Leisure Department of the council. If anyone had a problem, they would discuss it with the secretary, and hopefully it was settled there and then.

In the event it was more serious, the secretary would call in a member of the Leisure department's staff to resolve the problem (this only happened once in all my time on the plots). 

Having said that; a couple of secretaries we had during my 30+ years on the plot were somewhat officious and tried to boss us a round to how they thought the plots were run, which was sometimes contrary to the statutory rules and regulations as written in the contact documents we were given when taking on a plot/s. 

That meeting I mentioned was such an event, as it was agreed the secretary had overstepped his position, and the problem was amicably resolved.

The only concession the Secretary had was; his/her plot was 'rent-free' for services rendered.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10