Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Edible Plants / Re: Advice on Planting Raspberries in a raised bed
« Last post by Deb P on September 17, 2024, 10:26:06 »
I'd plant autumn fruiting raspberries in that space. No supports required, cut them to the ground in Feb, and keep an eye out for suckers trying to escape the bed. Try and make sure you have a really weedfree bed before planting as they are shallow rooted plants and difficult to weed around so you could either plant through membrane, or heavily mulch to keep weeds down. I had couch get itself established in my old raspberry bed and despite my efforts it eventually weakened the plants so much I dug them out...
Edible Plants / Re: Hiinnomaki Red Gooseberries with an odd taste
« Last post by George the Pigman on September 15, 2024, 19:45:37 »
Some feedback!
The jam was lovely so if one doesn't like the taste as a dessert gooseberry they should be brilliant if using in cooking.
Edible Plants / Advice on Planting Raspberries in a raised bed
« Last post by George the Pigman on September 15, 2024, 19:25:04 »
I have decided to plant raspberries in one of my raised beds this coming year. I've planted them before in an area at the back of the allotment that I now realise was too shaded and very poorly drained (we have clay soil) and needless to say they did badly.
I'm going to get some raspberry canes from a local garden centre, start them off in pots this year then plant them out next year in one of my 8ft by 4ft raised beds.
Any ideas about planting distances specifically for raised beds and what trellis support I would need?
Edible Plants / Re: Seed Saving Circle 2024
« Last post by markfield rover on September 15, 2024, 16:58:13 »
Piglet Willie French Black tastes like we have had a glorious and languorous summer !
Recipes / Re: sourdough
« Last post by Deb P on September 14, 2024, 17:23:55 »
I agree with the post above, it's going to be difficult with that mix.
I use a mix of rye flour about 20% and wholemeal flour with seeds 50% and 30% strong white flour for my loaves, sesame seed oil and rolled in more seeds and baked in a preheated pot as mentioned above. It does make for a moist denser type loaf with a nice crust but not at all difficult to chew! I use Nancy Birtwhistles seed bread recipe, her Fb and Instagram pages are great for recipes and she has a lot of gluten free ones, you could even message her and ask if she has any suggestions?
« Last post by galina on September 14, 2024, 12:10:00 »
I think you are trying the near impossible with low gluten sourdough and whole grains that tend to be denser.  This  tends to be a bit like pumpernickel type bread, which is black and dense and needs to be cut into very fine slices to be easy to eat.  In this case the sourdough is a flavour, rather than a fluffy consistency and if you have the breadmachine on a quarter inch setting or less, it should still work. 
« Last post by ACE on September 12, 2024, 14:00:20 »
My problem is the flour I want to use to make a low G loaf. Everything is bubbling, rising and doing the right thing. But trying to use rye or wholegrain flours make it a bit dense. Ideal as an all day breakfast as it take quite a while to chew it.
« Last post by BarriedaleNick on September 12, 2024, 09:33:36 »
I make it most of the time. Mostly comes out ok with the occasional "It's taking too long and I'll throw it in the oven regardless"  - basically it takes all day!
There is an obsession with high hydration sourdough which can be difficult so I stick to tried and tested ratios.
My starter is always 50/50 so I can work out what the ratio of flour\water I need.
So 170g starter
500g flour
300g water
15g salt

Mix it all together and let it sit for 40 mins. Then I use my Kenwood to knead for a few mins.
Plop it in bowl
Then every 30 mins for 2 hours I stretch and fold it or pull the "corners" over. Then leave till it rises.
Knock back.
Into a bread basket lined with parchment paper.
Heat oven to max - with a cast iron pot inside.
Grab the parchment paper with the bread, score and drop into the iron pot. Lid on
Leave on max for 10 mins - remove lid - cook on 190 ish for 35 mins.

This should give you about a 65% hydration - you can add more water if your flour is very strong...
« Last post by Palustris on September 12, 2024, 07:56:47 »
Hi Ace, nice to see you again. All well and fit?
« Last post by galina on September 11, 2024, 16:08:04 »
Needs longer to rise than normal yeast bread.  Sometimes much longer.  Is your sourdough starter bubbling vigorously?   If in doubt, you can start with a commercial dry sourdough sachet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal