Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Allotment Movement / Re: Deposits at allotment sites
« Last post by Paulh on Yesterday at 22:09:29 »
It would be ironic if they were because the Lib Dems who now control the council won a parliamentary by-election here (almost the safest Tory seat then) a few years ago partly on the Nimby vote (plus anti-HS2, hate Brexit and get lost Boris).

The council have got stung with the cost of clearing rubbish from various plots. As other association members have said to me, the answer is to enforce the lease more rigorously. Unfortunately, a few years ago, when the council did that, the tenant won a county court case for compensation for fruit bushes and crops that may have been largely imaginary!

The Shed / Re: Sad News
« Last post by lottie lou on Yesterday at 19:51:23 »
Oh Louise I am so sorry to hear this. Of course we remember him. My sincere condolrnces to you, Harriet and family. xxxMay
« Last post by galina on Yesterday at 15:18:12 »
Yes we remember Paul well from the meets at Betty's allotment and his famous bean salad, what very sad news.  So sorry to read about what you had to go through suddenly.   

Condolences and a big hug for you and for Harriet  ( ) ( )
« Last post by saddad on Yesterday at 15:14:30 »
Sorry to hear that....
Pests & Diseases / Re: Red lines inside leeks
« Last post by saddad on Yesterday at 15:13:50 »
I think the number of people using barrier netting is reducing the pest pool... only found one grub in 48 plants last season.
« Last post by Tiny Clanger on Yesterday at 13:39:21 »
It would definitely put me off. Sounds like they are cutting their own throats. Do they want to kill off your site for housing?
« Last post by Tiny Clanger on Yesterday at 13:35:30 »
Oh Louise, so very sad for you.  Sorry to hear that Paul is gone. Sincere condolences x
The Shed / Sad News
« Last post by cambourne7 on Yesterday at 12:51:41 »
Hi All,

Just to day that my husband Paul died in March this year and i know that some of you would have met him when we had the meet ups in Birmingham and though i would let you all know.

It was very sudden and unexpected and were all heartbroken.

Cam (aka louise)
Pests & Diseases / Re: Red lines inside leeks
« Last post by Paulh on May 18, 2024, 21:13:23 »
Alium leaf miner. Where the grubs eat the leek, a red stain appears. If you see little black grains, that's the pupating grubs. If you search on here, you'll find various posts from about 5 years ago. It seems to be less of a problem now, perhaps because the advice is to put barrier netting on the crops.
« Last post by lezelle on May 18, 2024, 14:35:30 »
Hi Ya, we are experiencing similar problems on our site. You don't have lay a deposit or anything. The onus is usually on the person vacating the plot. The one next to me was given up 4 months ago and though the council have people interested in taking a plot on the weed problem is horrendous. I can see why some people have looked at it but so far no takers. I can't blame them as it's a mess and is affecting me as with the weather problems they weeds are seeding and flowering readily all over and growing huge. They could give new clients a 6 months free period to get it round. On the site there is strawberries, comfry, that is a big pain in the backside, aparagus, and I have witnessed people helping themselves, apple and plum trees, they have been there 20 years I noe, also red and white grapes. 2 compost bins full. The sheds have been removed do no sheds. I don't understand but the council seem to have their hands tied somewhat in order to carry on. It's not the only plot as further up the site there are more plots the same. I think people take them on then find they need time and hard graft. I was always under the impression that who gave them up would be liable to leaving them in a stable condition. Still I have my plot and it keeps me active and happy. Take care all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal