Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Edible Plants / Re: Thunderbirds are go....
« Last post by Obelixx on March 10, 2024, 20:06:56 »
Wet weekends are for sewing and sowing but how did you get a broken arm??
Edible Plants / Re: Thunderbirds are go....
« Last post by Tee Gee on March 10, 2024, 17:17:30 »
Best of Luck!
Edible Plants / Thunderbirds are go....
« Last post by saddad on March 10, 2024, 16:48:57 »
Despite a broken arm and a wet weekend I have started the major sowing season...
4 types of sweet pepper, 5 chilli's and 6 different aubergines... oh and a few Jicama yesterday, another 15 varieties of HSL tomatoes... now all safely tucked up in the heated propagator in the spare bedroom...  :wave:
Non Edible Plants / Re: Feast & Famine
« Last post by Tee Gee on March 07, 2024, 15:47:53 »
Well I haven't decided yet but as can be seen in the cold greenhouse I have numerous plants I can put in, most of them are perennial, so I guess I will be finding somewhere to put these.

I haven't decided what I want to do with my herbaceous border (under the fruit trees) I am toying with the idea of trying to make it as maintenance free as possible. I have also to keep in mind leaving access to the fruit trees for harvesting purposes. My thoughts are clumps of Lilies, Dahlias, Iris and Chrysanthemums, with a frontage of a few biennials I have on the go.

Then I have got to think of in terms of vegetables in the bed behind my heather bed. I have a few Onions, and Garlic on the go. Then as normal I will grow my carrots & salad crops in the cold frames once they are emptied of hardening off plants.

I might grow some Beetroot as a contrasting colour in my flower borders.

So really I only have a bit of a planting plan, so only time will tell.

Weather permitting, I will hopefully get a good display of colour, some of which will be edible.

Then of course my cold greenhouse will be filled with Tomatoes, Sweet Peppers, Chillis & Cucumber.

My fruit collection will be Apples, Pears, Plums, Gooseberries, Raspberries, Strawberries & Rhubarb.

So I have the stock, the rest is up to Mother Nature.

I hope that answers your question Tg

Non Edible Plants / Re: Feast & Famine
« Last post by JanG on March 07, 2024, 06:20:52 »
Interesting, Tee Gee. What are your thoughts about what changes you might make?
Edible Plants / Re: Potato Days
« Last post by Multiveg on March 07, 2024, 00:49:13 »
I miss Ryton too... then started going to one at Harper Adams Uni... that was good, but last couple of years, went to one on the road between Welshpool and Shrewsbury. I haven't seen Carlingford for a while, but they did have Epicure (though we didn't choose it). It was on the 10th Feb... luckily the snow got warned away!
The Shed / Re: pushed for space
« Last post by Multiveg on March 07, 2024, 00:45:51 »
I'm running low on the black buckets that had flowers in, from a supermarket beginning with M. I hope I can get some more this year. Did have some white ones, but they've not lasted long.
Non Edible Plants / Feast & Famine
« Last post by Tee Gee on March 06, 2024, 16:13:59 »
Thought I would show you how this global warming is creating a "Feast & Famine" situation in my garden.

I have started with a photo I took in March, around 10 years ago, and what the garden has developed into now. I would say the deterioration has escalated in the last five years or so, i.e. since the freezing winters have disappeared.(and no I have not purposely neglected it, far from it!)

The best looking beds are in the brightest coldest parts of my garden.

Looks like it is back to the drawing board for me this year. :BangHead:
Under Glass / Re: My Hotbed this morning
« Last post by Obelixx on March 04, 2024, 19:08:45 »
Looking very good Tee Gee, as usual.

It's been warm and wet then cold and wet then warm and always wet again for months here now so I haven't sown a thing yet as it's also quite dark with all the grey clouds.  No point sowing seeds if the seedlings are going to be weak and spindly from lack of light and warmth.

I have sewing to do for this next wet week, after which time I sincerely hope it will be better weather for gardening - things to sow, things to prune, some organising and cleaning to do in the polytunnel so I'm ready to plant out the chilllies and toms in April and, if all goes to plan, have beds cleared ad mulched outside for planting baby brassicas and beets.
Under Glass / Re: My Hotbed this morning
« Last post by Deb P on March 04, 2024, 10:53:41 »
I decided to go for it with my March sowings yesterday, so the heated propagator is now full again and the early sowings of leeks, onions and hardy annual flowers are on the heated mats in an unheated greenhouse.
The onion sets and sweet peas have been outside for several weeks now so will be ready for transplanting when the ground isn’t soaked or frozen!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal