Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
The Basics / Re: Compostin Tinned Veg
« Last post by JanG on January 29, 2024, 08:06:35 »
The advice is usually not to put cooked food (and raw meat) on a compost heap because it may attract rats. I'm not sure why peelings are OK but not the cooked vegetable! So adding a large quantity of tinned veg in fatty oil might not be a good idea, but smaller amounts stirred well in are probably OK unless there's a rat problem already.
I’m not convinced by the rat argument as in my experience rats happily eat raw food too. I know for sure that rats love, for example, raw apples, walnuts etc, so I think rats are likely to enjoy a compost heap anyway.
« Last post by Harry on January 27, 2024, 13:27:50 »
I would compost them Harry, a couple of cans at a time mixed well in. I recently tipped a long out of date bottle of olive oil into my two compost bins after reading that it would act as a soil improver.

Tricia  :wave:
I suppose the olive oil was my concern, not that it was cooked. I'm going to mix it in to my closed bins, bit by bit and see how it goes. Rats do visit, but c'est la vie, they are a site wide issue.
Recipes / Re: recipe books or instructions
« Last post by Deb P on January 27, 2024, 11:53:28 »
There are also air frying temperature settings converted from oven temperatures available online which have found useful in cooking more things in our one.
« Last post by Paulh on January 27, 2024, 09:44:28 »
The advice is usually not to put cooked food (and raw meat) on a compost heap because it may attract rats. I'm not sure why peelings are OK but not the cooked vegetable! So adding a large quantity of tinned veg in fatty oil might not be a good idea, but smaller amounts stirred well in are probably OK unless there's a rat problem already.
« Last post by tricia on January 27, 2024, 09:17:02 »
I would compost them Harry, a couple of cans at a time mixed well in. I recently tipped a long out of date bottle of olive oil into my two compost bins after reading that it would act as a soil improver.

The Basics / Compostin Tinned Veg
« Last post by Harry on January 26, 2024, 21:43:06 »
Here's an odd one...

Composting tinned veg (in veg oil / water emulsion)  ?????

I have about 50 large catering cans of tinned Friarielli (turnip tops in sunflower oil) ( Actually it's mostly water ). They are way past sell by date*, but the environmentalist in me says 'compost the contents' and recycle the steel cans.

like this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284902004012

Any upside or downside in emptying the contents onto my compost heap? They are ring-pull cans so it's no hardship.

Tinned Turnip Tops? I hear you say... Apparently an expensive delicacy not dissimilar to sauteed chard or spinach.

I can't sell it because of where it came from and I don't fancy eating it.
The Shed / Re: Storm Isha
« Last post by saddad on January 26, 2024, 19:16:49 »
I forget which one it was, but they all brought trees down around our site, and shredded my, and other tenants polytunnels...
The Shed / Re: Storm Isha
« Last post by Palustris on January 26, 2024, 08:23:06 »
And then we got Jocelyn. No real damage here, but the bin is full of bits of tree.
« Last post by tricia on January 25, 2024, 16:02:56 »
Google is your friend!
Just enter your main ingredients and add "in airfryer ".
Whether for meat or vegetables there are masses of recipes available online. I have a Ninja multi-cooker and have even made bread, sausage rolls and apple pies in it.  No need to buy special cook books IMO!
« Last post by Obelixx on January 25, 2024, 13:24:57 »
The BBC Food and BBC Good Food websites often feature recipes for air fryers.   Can't tell you what they're like as I don't own one.  I suspect the Taste Australia site also has some.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal