collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 175
  • Dot Spiders: 5
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:
  • Dot users are in chat:: 0

* Search

* Recent Topics

daveyboi
Today at 09:58:37 by daveyboi
Views: 40 | Comments: 7

Wishing you all the best for your Birthday

:wav: :occasion13: :occasion13: :wav:
winecap
Yesterday at 19:07:45 by winecap
Views: 72 | Comments: 2

I finished the last of my pears this week and to be honest I had to speed up with eating them as they were getting over ripe. I thought it would be great to get a variety that will keep into the new year if possible. What varieties do people recommend? Thanks for any suggestions.
ACE
December 11, 2018, 10:53:34 by ACE
Views: 118 | Comments: 3

Poinsettia has arrived. It has already sat in a cold draught all morning as It is a nice clean cold day and the windows are open to blow through and freshen the house. I'll give it a fortnight.
December 10, 2018, 12:32:48 by Beersmith | Views: 236 | Comments: 6

It's that time of year when people say "what would you like for Christmas?  And to be honest I have no idea.

But then I thought, perhaps a gardening book. Now a book on the basics would not be suitable as I've been at this lark for a good few years. So I thought perhaps a Charles Dowding book on the no dig system. Learn something new and maybe try it on part of my plot. But he has written several books so which title?

So I go on line and start to browse, and make use of the Amazon look inside feature to help me choose.  And there I make a discovery that causes me real dismay. Several books contain chapters on gardening and sowing  according to the phases of the moon.

This is a big disappointment to me. If there is one thing that really pushes my buttons it is pseudo science. I detest things like astrology, crystal healing, mysticism, homeopathy and all the other silly mumbo jumbo that is so common these days.

Now I wasn't expecting the no dig methods to have been scientifically tested and subjected to peer review but I was expecting practical sensible advice, and an absence of silly woo. Can others who own or have read his books comment on the overall tone of the books. I could grudgingly tolerate perhaps just one chapter, but more than that and I'll be taking it off the Christmas wish list.

Any thoughts?

Amazon

* Allotment Gallery

lincoln albie
Allotment Gallery
Views: 258
By: salvation plot

* Allotment Wiki

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8