Author Topic: Poorly Toms?  (Read 1404 times)

Justy

• Hectare
Poorly Toms?
« on: May 31, 2005, 16:32:18 »
This tomato has started to go a bit yellowy in the middle.  It seems very healthy in every other way and is growing well.  All the other toms are ok too.  Any ideas what it is and what can sort it?  It is my 4 year old sons very own tomato and he would be very upset if it was terminal!

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Re: Poorly Toms?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 21:00:20 »
Just went off and had a quick squizz in my Dr Hessayon.  The only thing that matches is magnesium deficiency. 

"Treatment: Spray with Epsom Salts (1 and a half oz/pint) or use a foliar spray containing magnesium."

Apparently standard feeding doesn't help.

However, my toms had gone a bit like this.  I have since potted them on into a large container and now they are fine - greened up again.  I think perhaps they had just exhausted the nutriets in their pot.  Although they were not pot-bound, perhaps the compost was just not providing the goodies anymore.

Magnesium deficiency tends to start on the lower leaves and creep up, so I'm not sure that it is your problem.  Just looks like a close match in the book.

hth

Charlie
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 21:27:46 »
Took this photo yesterday and funnily enough went out this evening to water and they were more or less green again!  Very strange - I wonder if it was a bit stressed after replanting as my sweetcorn at the lottie have gone a bit yellowy too and i only planted them out a couple of days ago.  They seem completely healthy and are growing but a bit of a yellowy tinge.  I gave them a drink and a bit of a stroke ( ::)) so hopefully will do the trick.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 21:29:38 »
Did you had a cold night ,that also cause yellow leaves,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal