Author Topic: Are my gooseberries ready?  (Read 1965 times)

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
Are my gooseberries ready?
« on: May 30, 2005, 09:18:53 »
Hi all,
Anyone got a good trick for knowing when gooseberries are ready? It's the first time I've grown gooseberries and they look about ready to me (fat, hairy, green etc). Is it too early to pick them?
I have posted a picture here http://www.mytinyplot.co.uk/ of the lastest gooseberries  if you want to look (can't work out how to post pics here).
Thanks for any help.

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
Re: Are my gooseberries ready?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 12:19:48 »
I would say they are better left until they are just squeezable, a stage that varies with type! If you find they are rock hard, then they will be sour, I leave them until they are nearly falling off. They get more sugar in them the longer you leave them, and the wasps soon find out, and start chewing holes in them, so be careful not to pick a "live one". They do stay well on the bush if you can let them, but if they are all ready at once, then top & tail them and bag em up into the freezer. I have never blanched them, just into the bag in a useful amount, and freeze them. I have lost some in the freezer, and found them 3 years later! made them into great jam. Well my wife did! actually.

Brian

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: Are my gooseberries ready?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 15:20:45 »
i think even the 'green' gooseberries turn a lighter shade of yellow (yellowish-green) when they are ready :)

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal