Author Topic: Ladybird Party at the Aubergine Cafe  (Read 3423 times)

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Ladybird Party at the Aubergine Cafe
« on: June 14, 2005, 15:16:58 »
Heh.  I posted recently about an outbreak of aphids in my leanto-greenhouse.  Turned out to be ants bringing them in and farming them, the cheeky so-and-so's.   >:(

Anyhow, I managed to plant out enough of my bedding plants to make adequate room to scrub the plants down and put some collars covered with double-sided sticky tape round each plant - to which the 'scout' ants got stuck.  They are now having a huge ant conference, probably about whether or not to eat the poison I put down, now they are all hungry.  ;D

One of the aubergines growing in the leanto was so riddled with greenfly that I put it outdoors.  What a great idea!!!  Unwittingly, I had set up a "lure" for ladybirds.  Yesterday evening, I noticed that that aubergine was hosting a Ladybird Party, and err, the plentiful food seemed to have put them in a frisky mood.  ;)  I collected 5 courting couples in a jar.  They were still mating as I tipped them out onto my chillies, aubs and cukes. 

That means a total of 13 ladybirds now living in my leanto.  I hope their love-making made them hungry!!!  In a few days, I should have some hungry larvae too!

Now that's what I call LUCKY!  8) 8) 8)

The imminent crisis appears to be over, but I'm a bit worried about one of my chillies, which is now growing wierd shaped leaves (virus?).  Hope not.
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: Ladybird Party at the Aubergine Cafe
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 16:13:52 »
aren't ladybirds fantastic!

weird shaped leaves - how? the aphids sucking make the leaves distort sometimes. might be that.

Oh and to keep ants away, grow tansy or mint.
gone to pot :D

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 11:03:20 »
weird shaped leaves - how? the aphids sucking make the leaves distort sometimes. might be that.

Ah, that's probably it.  Without taking a piccie, the leaves normally end in one point, I have some leaves which are ending in two.  Like a "W" shape.  I think you're right and its the result of where the aphids have been sucking.

Caught 7 more ladybirds last night though.  Being as I have seen them advertised on Wiggly Wigglers for £17.99 per 25, I think I got me a bargain!  20 for free.

Hurrah for ladybirds!
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 21:46:13 »
Well done Charlotte !  I have ants milking aphids on my broad beans - (stalks and flowers).  I have bought two plastic squeegy thingies to blast them off with a powerful jet and do it every day !  But I wish I could harvest the ladybirds like you did ! Good luck to you !
 ;D :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 22:16:35 »
Hee hee!  I got 3 more tonight taking the totaliser up to 23!

Marianne, I have the same problem with the nasturtiums outdoors.  The aphids LOVE them.  I daresay the French beans will go the same way.  As did last year's runners.  ::)  Such is life!  There don't seem to be as many hover flies around this year, either.   :-\  Perhaps we need a bit more hot, sunny weather.  Flaming June, indeed!  ;)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 01:34:35 »
Tips on just how to "Lure" ladybirds greatfully accepted, just for future reference!!! sarah.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 09:20:33 »
Hi Charlotte  ;)

Well according to the weather forecast, tomorrow will be just one of those days !  flaming hot ! Enjoy it ! ;D ;D ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 11:23:00 »
I have loads and loads of nettles bordering my allotment. There seem to be loads and loads of ladybirds on them! Why is that I wonder? Fortunately, they come and visit all the other plants too  ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 14:07:05 »
Nettles are very useful at encouraging beneficial insects - they are the food crop of many of their prey.  There are lots of reasons for keeping a patch of nettles if one is not available - luckily there are loads near our lotties.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 14:38:45 »
Heh heh

Yes, Redclanger, nettles are very good.  A constituent of many herbal cures, too.  Also of nettle tea fertiliser as we have discussed before (whiffy). LOL!

We have tons of nettles growing in the alleyway round the back of our house.  So no need for them actually in the garden, although of course they pop up from time to time. 

I am becoming a ladybird geek now and constantly checking the aubs for them.  We have had a lot of larvae, fewer aphids and lots of 2 and 7 spot ladybirds.  Ladybirds rock.  8)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 15:05:26 »
Charlotte could you ask some of them to leave the party and return to Barnsley. I've only seen one on the lottie so far.

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 16:48:19 »
northener

I will have strict words with them along the lines of:

"Get the' sens up t'Barnsley forthwith, by eck!"

Sorry - irresistible.  Used to sing in a band with a drummer from Barnsley.  Wicked accent!  8)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 17:58:16 »
I don't know any drummers from round here. Who were the band? Come to think of it i don't know any drummers ever.

Shoyu

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 22:57:40 »
Tell them they can come to my house and party - although I have squashed most of their fodder!

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2005, 11:17:03 »
Well, Shoyu, seems a bit rude to invite them if you're not providing some refreshments.  Perhaps you have some nice infested nasturtiums somewhere?  I dunno.  They're saying they won't budge till they've picked my chilli plants clean - could be some time...

northener -

Just occurred to me after I posted that, that the harmonica player was from Huddersfield.  Albeit he's busy growing chard in the Midlands these days.  :D  You're probably quite lucky not to know any drummers.  They are, to put it politely, "unusual" types of people normally!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal