Author Topic: Fennel bolting  (Read 2776 times)

Sam Spade

• Not So New ...
Fennel bolting
« on: May 29, 2005, 14:43:07 »
I gather that fennel, when sown early (April in my case) is prone to bolting. It took me an age to get enough plants together to make a decent row after a very poor initial germination.  ??? Is it virtually always the case that it bolts, or does anyone have any experience of getting away with it.
It certainly didn't recommend late planting on the seed packet!! :o

bunnycat

• Half Acre
Re: Fennel bolting
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 16:08:53 »
I've just had a quick look at 3 different books that were handy on my bookshelf, and they all say that fennel grown from seed in the Spring almost always bolts :(

They recommend planting in early to midsummer, and growing and earthing up quickly, or there's a risk of the plants running to seed before they've formed a bulb :-\

I was going to have a go at fennel next year, but I'm not so sure now :o Sounds like it can be a bit of a difficult customer :(

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 16:45:18 »
Water-even in a rain storm :)-and try to find the variety that suits your soil. I know some find Zefo Fino OK,but I prefer `Rudy`-so why did I not get any this year????.

There has been some debate about growing from modules-I find it works fine.

Stephan

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 21:02:16 »
I plonked mine straight in the soil late last year.  I remember thinking at the time that I had missed the boat but it was all ok and the bulbs were as big as my spread hand so not bad.  Can't remember which type but it was from Marshalls.
Get with the beat Baggy

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 22:03:08 »
I cheated and bought mine from a plant sale !  ;D ::)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal