Author Topic: Argos Sale.. Petrol strimmers  (Read 15741 times)

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
Re: Argos Sale.. Petrol strimmers
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2005, 00:43:05 »
Just got one today! Can't wait to try it this weekend as the long grass and nettles are shooting up and I've been cutting them down with hand shears up to now. I didn't find it in the catalogue but put the item number in the phone ordering system and reserved one at my local Argos. Thanks for letting us know.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2005, 14:30:04 »
If anyone finds a cheap McCulloch Trimmac 210 then I can say I've not regretted buying mine (even at full price which isn't that much!)

I got it during the year my back was awful, as I couldn't bend to use shears.  And yes, they do take some getting used to starting! My destructions said to put on full choke, pull until it turned (maximum of 6 tries) then switch to half choke and give it good pulls until it fires (max of 6 tries). If it's not going by then, you've probably flooded the carburettor and you need to clear it.  I usually get it going before then, even with my pathetically weak arm strength.

But do get good eye protection and hearing protection.  And don't strim with shorts or sandals on - always wear STOUT trousers and shoes you don't mind going green!

And don't forget to use the right kind of fuel.  Mine's 2-stroke so it's easy to make with a mixer bottle, unleaded petrol and 2-stroke oil.  I'd also advise emptying the fuel reservoir when you finish using the strimmer,  back into your mixer bottle.  It can go gooey and clog up the works if you don't use it regularly.  Either way, at the end of the year,  after your last strim, turn it off, empty the fuel then start it up again while the unit's warmed up. Leave it going until it dies for lack of fuel, then it's ready to store overwinter. Get it serviced if you have trouble (though a clogged spark plug is a likely culprit if it's not been used for a while).

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2005, 08:53:21 »
Yes, definitely long trousers and LONG SLEEVES required when strimming. Apart from getting hit by flying bits and pieces some weeds have very nasty sap, and it goes everywhere. I would go as far as having full-face protection (i.e. a visor) if you're clearing a very overgrown site.

Last weekend when I was clearing the canal bank of weeds where my folks have their new narrowboat mooring, the nettles were so vicious they were stinging me through my trousers! Lucky I had a spare pair so I ended up wearing both for extra protection.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal