Author Topic: Argos Sale.. Petrol strimmers  (Read 15964 times)

lanky lass

• Not So New ...
Argos Sale.. Petrol strimmers
« on: May 27, 2005, 10:37:13 »
Hi All, Just bought myself a J.C.B. strimmer from Argos for £49.99. at £35.00 off. Quite cheap for a new petrol strimmer I think. I really needed one  as all I've been using are  garden shears (my poor back). They also offer 3 years replacement cover for under a tenner :).
Just thought I'd pass it on for anyone looking for one. At this price I think they'll sell out quickly.
 :) :) :)
lanky

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
Re: Argos Sale.. Petrol strimmers
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 10:48:30 »
Ooh thanks for that I'm going to try and reserve one.

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 15:10:38 »
That's darned cheap for a petrol strimmer!

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 23:40:15 »
i got a petrol strimmer again for fifty quid at b&q that was redused from £89 give that a look
matt
 ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 12:00:58 »
Some fancy prices around for petrol strimmers. My B&D electric has packed up so I'm looking to get a petrol one. Just how good are these cheaper ones?

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 22:43:49 »
well ours has cleared the plot with ease

it is really good  ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 23:06:25 »
Some fancy prices around for petrol strimmers. My B&D electric has packed up so I'm looking to get a petrol one. Just how good are these cheaper ones?

Ken are you trying to start another Honda type thread ;D ;D

Dirkdigger

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 23:36:34 »
Why not Roy, still seems to be going strong on that one. I think a few peoples eyes and bank balances have been opened. ;D ;D ;D ;D

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 11:27:24 »
mine was grrrrrrrrr what a help they are

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 17:22:41 »
Thanks for your tip Waggi :D :D :D

Finally found one at B&Q, as all the Argos's round us have sold out.

I'm going to try it out now. 

Thanks again

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 21:13:56 »
di it start for you as i found that if you start it in full choke it floods
start it on run

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 00:06:14 »
Yeah, had to play around with it for a while, but once you have the knack then it's easy ::) ::)

Cheers ;D

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 13:07:47 »
start it on run

The instructions for my Ryobi petrol strimmer (smallest version, basically the same model as the JCB one in Argos) say that to start from cold you press the primer bulb eight times, pull the starting cord 4-6 times on full choke (it won't go, but it lubes the engine), switch to half choke, hold it on full throttle and pull until it starts. Quite lumpy at first, but wait for 10-15 seconds then open the choke fully and whoosh - you're off. If you start it from cold with the choke open there will not be enough 2-stroke oil in the engine to lubricate it fully, and you'll decrease the life of the piston.

My strimmer is great - copes with everything the plot can throw at it (apart from trees!) and helped at the weekend when my folks needed a 60 foot section of canal bank clearing for their new narrowboat mooring - it took down the 3-4 foot high grass and big weeds with ease!

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 14:02:55 »
start it on run
The instructions for my Ryobi petrol strimmer (smallest version, basically the same model as the JCB one in Argos) say that to start from cold you press the primer bulb eight times, pull the starting cord 4-6 times on full choke (it won't go, but it lubes the engine), switch to half choke, hold it on full throttle and pull until it starts. Quite lumpy at first, but wait for 10-15 seconds then open the choke fully and whoosh - you're off. If you start it from cold with the choke open there will not be enough 2-stroke oil in the engine to lubricate it fully, and you'll decrease the life of the piston.
Now I'm confused - you say that if you start it from cold with the choke open, you'll knacker the piston, but isn't that exactly what you're trying to do by pulling the starting cord 4-6 times on full choke?
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

lanky lass

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 14:26:04 »
Took our Argos jcb strimmer to the very overgrown lottie on Saturday. Hubby did most of the work than I had a go. Scary things at first aren't they. I can't quite get the knack of starting it by myself. will need more practise. It shifted everything nettles and all. Looks better now. Well worth the money!!!!! :) :) :)
lanky

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 15:06:02 »
Now I'm confused - you say that if you start it from cold with the choke open, you'll knacker the piston, but isn't that exactly what you're trying to do by pulling the starting cord 4-6 times on full choke?

You're only turning it over (relatively slowly) when you pull the cord at first on full choke. Essentially you're squirting in fuel and oil mix, lubricating the inner workings before it starts. If you manage to start it from cold, at full throttle with no choke, you're forcing the engine to function at huge rpm with little or no lubrication.

It probably won't knacker the piston in the short term, you're just causing more friction/wear in the engine than is necessary, which is likely to decrease it's life.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 15:09:51 by SpeedyMango »

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 15:53:22 »

You're only turning it over (relatively slowly) when you pull the cord at first on full choke. Essentially you're squirting in fuel and oil mix, lubricating the inner workings before it starts. If you manage to start it from cold, at full throttle with no choke, you're forcing the engine to function at huge rpm with little or no lubrication.

It probably won't knacker the piston in the short term, you're just causing more friction/wear in the engine than is necessary, which is likely to decrease it's life.

Thanks for the explanation.  Not very mechanically minded me!
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2005, 16:07:03 »
do you know the code for the argos strimmer anyone??
cheers ;D

KeithR

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2005, 16:15:49 »

I am a bit late in hearing about this but I checked in my Argos catalogue and online and couldn't find a petrol JCB strimmer. Could you let us know the model and Argos catalogue number. It may already be too late for me as all the A4A members without a petrol strimmer will have innundated Argos.

KeithR

lanky lass

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2005, 16:30:55 »
Hi Keith R here's the code for Argos strimmer
JCB PLT25 Petrol Grass Trimmer 721/7494 

lanky

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal