Author Topic: Moving a clematis  (Read 3157 times)

RichardS

• Quarter Acre
  • In the wilderness of rural Twickenham....
Moving a clematis
« on: June 02, 2005, 12:49:15 »
We've got a clematis that is currently very happily climbing up a fence.

Unfortunately, that fence is due to be replaced by a wall/fence combination shortly, so it needs to be moved.

It's a large-flowered summer blooming variety - I think that's Group 2 - don't know the name of it unfortunately.  It hasn't started flowering yet, but has a number of buds appearing.  It was pruned back hard earlier this spring.

Am I being optimistic in thinking that it can be moved, and in the case that it can be, how should it best be tackled?

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Re: Moving a clematis
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 17:29:48 »
I think it could be moved but carefully. Take all the root, dig down very deep have your planting hole ready again deep with lots of organic stuff. and water, water and keep watered until established again. Thats just my opinion but I'm no expert so others might tell you different.I have planted them this time before now but not moved them so that might be different.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 17:50:05 »
On the same track, my label says back fill with soil & "a peat substitute". What, exactly, & why??

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 17:56:31 »
You may well have to sacrifice flowering for this year and cut back before moving to reduce water loss until the roots have re-established themselves. Water well before too, otherwise Val is spot on.
Tim Clematises like a deep, moisture retentive. fertile soil slightly on the alkaline side. So the instructions are a short hand method of telling you what you need to do. Peat substitute because peat is acid and non-pc these days.  Composted bark is usual stuff and it has had lime added to it to help it rot down.
Gardening is the great leveller.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 18:03:38 »
Thanks, Eric - I thought even soil might be a peat sub?

Not one's own compost, or muck, because they're acidish?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 20:47:52 »
My compost tends to be neutral becuase I add lime to assit , but yes fresh manure could make the soil more acidic. Just use whatever organic material is available and chuck in a handful of lime!
Gardening is the great leveller.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 21:48:21 »
I've just moved two potted clematis (Nelly Moser & Rouge cardinal) into holes at the bottom of a post.  No problems at all.  They both seem to be going great guns.
Get with the beat Baggy

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 08:35:34 »
Ive too sucessfully moved clematis.

I waited while they had finished flowering and dug rather deep to make sure i got the whole rootball, which i find are  rather compact on most clematis anyway, so it makes the job easier.

Ive had no problems at all and wouldnt worry about doing it again.

RichardS

• Quarter Acre
  • In the wilderness of rural Twickenham....
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 09:17:38 »
Thanks to all - it seems that it might not be such a hiding to nothing after all.

So, site well prepared, rich soil preferred - definitely not acidic conditions.

Dig it out deeply, keep rootball as undisturbed as possible, move and plant quickly, perhaps trim down the top growth so as to minimise transpiration water losses.

Water in well, keep well watered until established.

I know that clematis like cool roots, so I'll put the old ridge tile that I have knocking about over the top of the roots.

Now, that one's the easy one - the difficult one is a huge Clematis cirrhosa that's scrambling over the old fence, through the hibiscus trees, etc etc....   I've taken cuttings from that one!!!  At least that one can be cut back dramatically (and it always comes back) and it doesn't flower until winter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal