Author Topic: What Can I grow????  (Read 2098 times)

RhiBi

• Not So New ...
What Can I grow????
« on: May 26, 2005, 17:07:40 »
Hi, as you may know, I am restricted with gorwing veggies by my limited resources IE, my knowledge and no garden!!!!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I could grow in grow bags.  I have put in some lettuce.

Also, I've heard that a certain variety of tomatoes can be grown in hanging baskets.  I hope that is true or I'm going to look a right idiot :-[  If it is true, does anyone know what variety, and if it is ok to do them at this time of year.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my continuously stupid questions ;D ;D ;D ;D

Aidy

• Not So New ...
Re: What Can I grow????
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 17:20:28 »
On the subject of tomatoes, yes you can grow from baskets, Balconi (red or Yellow) and Gartenperle.
Most veg will grow from your growbags but remember the bigger the plant the more area it needs so stick with the smaller salad type crops, you could use bins and tubs to grow things like spuds and carrots.
Aidy

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 17:25:15 »
Probably too late to get good tomato plants going now - but buy some in your local nursery.

I have grown tomatoes in hanging baskets - also recommend totem variety for patio pots on a balcony.

Try some cut and come again salad leaves - very cost effective and fast results.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 18:57:04 »
I think there is a basket tomato called tumbling tom.  I grow peppers and aubergines in large pots and carrots in a cheap plastic trough.  What about a dwarf french been in growbag or pot?  Think you can do most things as long as you feed them and don't expect tons of produce.  :D

RhiBi

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 19:21:56 »
Thanks for your suggestins, they've been really helpful ;D

I think I'll take myself off to the garden center this weekend, and see what I can find ;D

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 19:45:13 »
Are you going to have a go at any herbs, Rhi? ;D

I grew cherry tomatoes in tubs a couple of years ago and they were a roaring success. Too successful really, as I had five plants and got a few pounds of fruit from EACH one.
As it's only me that eats fresh toms and all my family are 200 miles away, I couldn't even give them away fast enough :o
Next time, I'll just get a couple of plants from a nursery :D

RhiBi

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 20:01:05 »
I planted some herbs this week Bun ;D  I did parsley, basil, thyme and oregano.

I have a few big pots that I normally put flowers in,so I could use 1 or 2 of them to grow something :D

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 21:30:53 »
Bother! If I'd known you were definately doing herbs I've got a load of seeds you could have had, given a day or two to sort them out :(

Never mind - I'll see if I've got any chives as they're dead easy and you haven't mentioned them ;D

RhiBi

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 21:41:14 »
Aw thanks Bunn, thats really kind of you to think of me :-* :-*

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 21:43:43 »
I have got some courgette and french bean seeds RhiBi if you would like some - you can do them in pots and they are about right to sow now.  Send me a PM with your details.

Justine

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 23:43:43 »
If you've got big pots then put the courgettes in those.  I grow lots of stuff in pots at home to keep slugs off, eg cucumber, courgettes, tomatoes, herbs, aubergine, chillies are easy, dwarf beans.  You'll be able to find lots of stuff at the garden centre so you can get planting straight away.  You can lay one grow bag on top of the other and then cut through to give you more depth (thank Sanders J for that tip)  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

RhiBi

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 09:12:12 »
Thank you for your kind offer Justine, I've sent you a PM ;D

You lot will make a gardener of me at this rate, you've been rally helpful :-*

I'll certainly use the pots, and that is an excellent tip about the grow bags ;D ;D ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 10:09:08 »
Rhi, last year I lived in a second floor flat with balconies, and had absolutely NO garden at all. On my balconies I grew 7 tomato plants, 3 pepper plants, 1 chilli plant, rosemary, sage, basil, potatoes and climbing french beans. This year I am growing a growbag full of salad leaves  :)

You don't need a garden to grow stuff! Warning though, it's addictive and you could end up like me with a whole lottie on your hands  ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal