Author Topic: Yorkshire folk...  (Read 35827 times)

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
Re: Yorkshire folk...
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2005, 11:24:54 »
hellooo

i say unfortunatly i dont have the garden space but my allotment is only at the top of the street so's to speak as im surrounded by fields (ok i live on the edge of the villafe about 400yds from the allotments) so its almost as good as a garden lol
where on Newland ave do they have allotments ? ive never seen where they are, Mind you if they are jungles it probably the reason why, In saying that mine was of a similar nature last yr and to be fair its only this yr i have managed to get it clean and keep it that way !!

ok so 3 raised beds on yours i think you now have time to dig mine lol

carl
another member of i forgot my password

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2005, 00:28:45 »
Carl lol  ;D  No chance of digging duty cos to be honest I'm only supervising and weeding - hubbie's the one doing the manual work  ;)  Could try hiring him out to pay for new stuff for lottie  :D  lol

The allotments run parallel to Newland Ave - if you go down one of the side streets and to the bottom (passed Sidmouth St primary school) the plots are in quite a big square area between Newland Ave area/Goddard Ave/Newland Park.  I've done a copy of the street map ref but not sure if it will work http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=508081&y=431285&z=1&sv=tavistock+street&st=6&tl=Tavistock+Street,+Hull,+HU5&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf.  Basically, the allotments are in the blank area! 

The plots have been there a long time as some of the plot holders have been on there for over 40 years - used to have to wait years to get a plot.  They declined in recent years, with some old timers struggling on, but now nearly all the plots are let and the place is looking good.  Its so peaceful despite the hustle and bustle of the city, and as we don't have a garden we can mess with, its a great escape.  They've also turned quite a few lotties over to nature gardens, which makes the place look lovely and attracts the wildlife, but now that there is a demand again for the plots its a shame that a lot of the growing space has been handed over to other things.  But I understand the reasons why.

Anyway, am waffling now and must get to me bed as have more digging and weed warfare to undertake tomorrow before it gets too hot.  Strange all this sunshine for us Yorkshire folk - could do with some rain.

Adele

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2005, 10:30:35 »
Hello MM in Donny and clairenpaul in sunny Scunny  :)

Happy allotmenting  :)

Wardy in North Derbyshire
I came, I saw, I composted

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2005, 20:09:23 »
Hi Adele

well it looks like you had your wish tonight at least 5 mins of well light rail enough to fill a wellie lol !!
ill have to have a nosey so time at your allotments sounds like near us ! with the ones that have been left about 18mths ago there where about 8 or 9 free now theres just the one which is more of a agarden to be fair and in a bit of a state (no one wants it but i might have a go and just grow potatoes next yr so well see ill have a nice word with the council lady lol it maybe handy for another green house too

never mind its good to hear you have a slave too sounds a bit like my set up i do the work and wifey helps and claims she did it all lol

catch you soon

carl
another member of i forgot my password

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2006, 12:21:19 »
And another newbie here from yorkshire. Outskirts of Bradford towards Halifax/Brighouse.

Growing various veg and fruit in garden and since finding this site have started investigating getting a lottie as well!!!

greenfingers

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2006, 20:59:53 »
hi im in sheffield

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2007, 17:10:41 »
I'm in Liversedge West Yorks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2007, 17:53:02 »
Well I guess I am the closest to you so far  I am in Hull  itself ,right by Asda at Kingswood.  XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2007, 19:26:17 »
Got to get a  mention from  Castleford, W Yorks ...Home of the "Cas tigers"    ;D

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2007, 21:36:38 »
At the moment I think their are three of us from Hull who are active on here. Myself, Jeannine (I saw you where from Hull second in answer to your question on other thread) and Big Al.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2007, 21:39:48 »
I think there are 5 if you look a the map and count Bilton and another village I forget which. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2007, 21:56:09 »
I'm going to say Skipton, North Yorks just 'cos no-one else has.
(And hello to the Eastern edge of West Yorks too.... :P

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2007, 21:56:30 »
The members map will not work for me, keeps crashing my PC so I do not know. I passed by your plots yesterday on my way to North Bransholme to look at some work and thought about you when I saw somone working on his plot. Never came that way back had to pop back to North Point (Wilko's) without the GF this time and spend some more money!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2007, 00:19:23 »
Well I had a lovely visit from Gary today on my lottie,he came to pick up some plants I had PMd him about, really nice young man, Thank you Gary it was a pleasure to meet you.

XX Jeannine

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2007, 11:55:29 »
Likewise Jeannine it was a pleasure to meet you both also, and thank you again for the plants. I am very impressed with the set up you have on your site and would love to come back towards the end of the year for another nosey.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2007, 17:19:22 »
Thanks for bringing this topic up again, hadn't seen it before. I'm in Tadcaster, between York & Leeds. My son is at uni in Hull, living just off Newlands Avenue, so if anyone's got any spare veggies for starving students... :D

I'd recommend Yorkgate garden as well- it's lovely. If you're travelling a distance to get there, call in at Golden Acre Park or Harlow Carr gardens as well.
Sounds like there's enough of us for a Yorkshire meet if the original posters are still around!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2007, 17:28:06 »
That's about 10 minutes from me, I can keep him in salad stuff,toms etc once they are going plus whatever is spare, I don't mind a bit, I always have more than I need. Will you remind me  please?XX Jeannine

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2007, 19:48:28 »
Awww, Jeannine, that's really kind of you- he does love his salads, and although I can hopefully give him some of ours, it sounds as if your plot is much more prolific than mine!

bucks4x4

• make my day
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2007, 21:35:10 »
hi newcomer here not got a lotti at moment .got my name down at darnall sheffield waiting for allotment society meeting tomorrow here's hoping .looking forward to all tha lovely digging any tips on where to start and what to plant at this time of year would be greatly appreciated .see how i get on tomorrow and how bad the site is cheers bye for now
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 21:37:38 by bucks4x4 »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2007, 21:39:05 »
hiya, bucks4x4, welcome to the site, we'll keep everything crossed for you for tomorrow  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal