Author Topic: Yorkshire folk...  (Read 35829 times)

Piglottie

• Half Acre
Yorkshire folk...
« on: May 26, 2005, 13:49:28 »
Just got my lottie  ;D and was wondering if there was anyone on here from the Yorkshire area.  I'm based in Hull, East Yorkshire on the Newland Avenue site.  Wondered if anyone had the joys of sharing the colder northern temps?

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Yorkshire folk...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 14:35:04 »
there's quite a few on here from oop t'north - I know that cos they talk funny  ;D    There's Northerner and John Charlie for starters  :)

I'm in North Derbyshire and there's Scots who are even colder than us  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 17:27:53 »
theres me!
*kitty jumps up and down*
theres me!!
*decides she must maintain dignity and stops jumping but waves gracefully instead!*
lincolnshire-not too far from 'ull..cold here too!
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 23:19:31 »
Kitty!   :)  Am so pleased your up north too - have loved reading your posts, esp ones about (dare I mention it?) Monty Don! 

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 23:33:52 »
I'm in Leeds, about 6 miles outside the City itself :)
No lottie and a tiny garden, but I'm doing my best. This is the first year that I've made a serious effort to 'grow my own', although I can only do a few things at a time due to the lack of space and everything is in tubs and compost sacks :(

I've been successful with toms and strawberries in the past, but I'm trying potatoes, onions, garlic and runner beans this year.
I started doing some proper herb growing last year, as well ;D

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 23:45:20 »
Bunnycat - was travelling through Leeds yesterday on the way to pick someone up with a friend (don't ask me where, not far from the LCH hospital?)

I'm growing stuff on my patio too as only got lottie this week.  Have just put tomatoes out in grow bags on patio and am going away this weekend so trying not to worry that when I get back toms will be no more!  Also have strawberrys, one pepper plant (not too optimistic about it fruiting) and loads of herbs - am growing basil and coriander for the first time this year and seeds are up already (planted 6 days ago).

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 23:55:08 »
My basil has also come up very quickly. About a week for mine, too ;D

I'm trying to work round a lot of upheaval at the moment, which isn't easy :-\
First our fence blew down in those gales early this year, and we had a building site for weeks while hubby and FIL erected a new one, then the guy on the other side of us decided he was going to pull down his wall and put up a fence like our new one, so the other side of the garden is now a building site just as things are returning to normal where we had to do our fence >:(

All my veggies were already ordered, so I've no option but to make the best of it and try to grow things in mild to moderate chaos :'(
It'll be a miracle if I manage to grow ANYTHING!!! LOL!!

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 12:24:28 »
hi Piglottie - we're not too far from you - just over the river in Scun*horpe  ;D  ;D

enjoy your weekend away and good luck with your lottie  :)

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 13:13:27 »
Hi,
I'm in Halifax, "From Hell Hull and Halifax May't Good Lord Deliveruz" My daughter and partner live in Hull working for ADM cocoa, so visit often, get free cocoa shell too! but don't tell anyone.
Brian

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 19:36:49 »
I used to work in ALWOODLY in Leeds did my nanny training and job there for 3yrs, i was born in a village called SOUTH KIRKBY West Yorkshire.
Now a fully fledged Londoner, lived in London till i was 15 then went back to good old Yorkshire till i got married at 20, still waiting to go back Home ;D.

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 00:36:10 »
Dear Rosebud,

Alwoodly is just around the corner from Adel where one of the best little gardens in the UK is hidden away, Yorkgate is open most Sundays, and Thursday evenings to raise money for charity. Well worth a visit if you are near.

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 16:20:04 »
Gardenantics, I wish I'd seen your post a bit earlier. I had no idea about that garden in Adel and we're only 8 or 9 miles from there.
It's a gorgeous day and we were at a loose end this morning :(

Definately something bear in mind next time we have a bored Sunday looming :)

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2005, 22:01:20 »
Hi Bunnycat,

Yes it's well worth the trip, and the money goes to the Gardeners Benevolent Society for retired gardeners.
Try the link;
www.perennial.org.uk/yorkgate.html
It's open tomorrow too as it's a bank holiday.

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 23:01:10 »
Wow, that looks beautiful. I'm working tomorrow, but we'll definately make the effort to get over there as soon as we can ;D

strummer33

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 09:29:20 »
Hi all you Yorkshire lads and lasses. I'm in Huddersfield and not been doing this thing long. Anyone know of a co-op or society that uses its collective powers to buy things at discount. I would like to join somewhere that can order cheap seed potatoes, pots, compost etc.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 10:00:41 »
If you're on an allotment site you'll probably have an association where you can get your stuff cheap  :) 

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 13:41:27 »
Hello Piglottie, I'm just down the road from you in York :-)

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2005, 11:15:43 »
Hi all!

Sweet-pea - love York!  Tend to pop over at least once a month for a browse round the shops (however, not so much in the summer as the Yanks sometimes seem to take over!!!).

Well, it seems to have been raining forever here in Hull and am desperately trying to get down to new lottie to do some digging but its too wet!  Have stuff in pots waiting to be planted out so am hoping for a few dry days to get on with the digging.

PS:  Toms survived my weekend away and are now thriving on the patio in their growbags.

Bunnycat - Am overrun with basil as the stuff I just planted in pots outside has now come up!  Think much pesto will be in store this summer.  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 11:33:23 »
Hello Strummer in Hudds  :)   Kids went to uni there and my auntie lives at Brighouse so spent some happy hours up there.  Never stops raining so you'll have some luvly veg  :)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 16:08:46 »
I used to work in ALWOODLY in Leeds did my nanny training and job there for 3yrs, i was born in a village called SOUTH KIRKBY West Yorkshire.
Now a fully fledged Londoner, lived in London till i was 15 then went back to good old Yorkshire till i got married at 20, still waiting to go back Home ;D.

Rosebud, I live only about 4 miles away from South Kirkby in Great Houghton.
I love to go walking in Howell Wood, right next to SK.

Small world innit?  ;D
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal