Author Topic: Raised beds  (Read 2651 times)

pembo

• Not So New ...
Raised beds
« on: May 26, 2005, 10:40:07 »
Well.  went to my daughters house to see my slabbed plot and assess it seriously.  Realised it was 4ft above the nieghbours garden!  >:( Neighbour told me that at least 90 tons of hard core had been laid under the flags. UGH! no. no. no.  Hubby then came up with next plan.  8ft x 8ft raised beds, outlined with 1 row of bricks with holes in for drainage then, sleepers or timber to a hieght of about 14".  We would put in 2" of gravel for better drainage, and fill with about 12" of top soil.  Could Work???  Dare I ask for comments...   :-\ (All this is to see how I get on with a view to launching into a lottie at a later date. At the moment I work and help to run a church so time is short.  Lottie could be too much realistically)   So what do you think?  ???
When the going gets tough, the tough get going!!

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: Raised beds
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 11:35:28 »
allotments come in all shapes and sizes?
i think even if you just wanted to 'try out' this gardening thing - seeing that you will have to put so much effort into your daughter's garden to make it growable (is that a word??), you may as well start on an allotment proper.

start with a half plot? if you dont enjoy it, you can give it up again, but at least you wont have had the expense and effort to make these raised beds.....

is there an allotment site where you and your daughter can share a plot? that is, if she would consider helping you out?

anyways, that is my opinion...:-/

good luck!
svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

pembo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 19:00:18 »
I took all the advice seriously and weighed up the pros and cons of both ideas.  I happened to be passing a friends house yesterday and there are some lotties just down the road from her.  There was a chap working there and I stopped to have a chat to him.  The Sec. happened to be there, and offered me a plot straight away.  Not too big, well dug, with just a covering of annual weeds, and some thistles. Shed and base for greenhouse and cold frame. Perfect really.  Hubby looked too, and having been a bit sceptical, was coverted without any persuasion!!  I guess all this made up my mind for me.  I agree with you, the cost is SO much less than the raised bed idea.
Thanks for listening to me, and giving your opinion.  Keep up keeping me on the straight and narrow!!
Next week it will be all go go go.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going!!

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 19:25:00 »
congrats :)
take pictures and share, will you?
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal