Author Topic: Scythe or Brushing Hook/Slasher  (Read 3164 times)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Scythe or Brushing Hook/Slasher
« on: May 25, 2005, 10:26:39 »
I'm thinking of buying either a Brushing Hook
http://shop.btcv.org.uk/shop/level3/21/stock/288
or a scythe
http://shop.btcv.org.uk/shop/level3/18/stock/250
to cut grass and such things as nettles at my lottie.

Does anyone have any experience with either, as to which would be most suitable, easiest to use.

I know a strimmer would be quicker, but not having a car, I've decided that it'd make more sense to have something I can keep at the lottie and use as and when.  Also much more environmentally friendly  :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Scythe or Brushing Hook/Slasher
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 11:08:56 »
A 'scythe' is quite difficult to use, so I reckon a 'scythette' would be just the job. Not a 'slasher'. That's for hedges. Learn how to keep it really sharp!

ptennisnet

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate thistles....and dandelions too.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 12:13:35 »
I use a grass hook / sickle and it works a treat but does involve some bending over.  I reckon that in some instances it's quicker than a strimmer.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 14:45:01 »
I use a scythe for some things and a grass hook for others as well as good old fashioned shears, edge trimmers and a machete. Depends what you want to cut -a scythe is good for biggish areas where you can swing it, I keep my apple tree area grass nettles &c. down with it, much quicker than a strimmer. I also use it on paths a bit which is much more difficult especially as I have a chain link fence around the lottie -a push mower would be best for this. Keeping the grass along the fence from getting too rampant shears are best, probably long handled horizontal edging ones, a strimmer would do this too -but I'm not sure what would happen to the chain link :o

http://www.thescytheshop.co.uk/

One legged Jez.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 15:36:10 »
Yes - I have used a scythe a lot, but I would hesitate to recommend it to a lady-person.

Of course, in Asia, they use a bent car spring. Very efficient. Even for lawns.

In fact, I think they do a version over here?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 15:39:56 by tim »

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 15:47:52 »
Thanks guys.

Derbex, the scythes on the link you gave look fantastic, although a bit scary.  I think maybe they might be a little too big for my needs.  

I recon I'll probably go for a smallish scythe, maybe the 'scythette' , and a pair of shears.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 23:51:29 »
I have a couple of scythes, and have used them occasionally, but think I am too chicken to use them properly!  Always fear for my legs!  I think if you have the knack, then you are away...me, I use my shears, or drag my darling Ava to the plot.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 10:14:58 »
Good for halloween -especially trick or treat ;D

Unless you have a reasonable area of grass you are probably better off with the scythette. I can just about use my scythe on the main path, but not between the beds as it's too wide. The one I got -despite being steel, big size, is very light.

I think I'm more of a danger to other people E-J, guess you could try cricket pads.

Tim, I think I've seen something similar -bit like a long machete with the end bent back in a U?

Jeremy

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 15:31:16 »
I've just ordered a scythette.  Hope it doesn't take too long to arrive as I don't want to repeat saturday.  I was on my knees cutting the grass around my beds with lawn shears, my back didn't like it one bit!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal