Author Topic: Hi I'm the new girl  (Read 4068 times)

pembo

• Not So New ...
Hi I'm the new girl
« on: May 24, 2005, 16:30:37 »
Well, I have to be honest. I'm a Mum of 6, 58 yrs old and wanting to learn all I can from youz all.  I have been offered a plot in my daughter's garden, good size but covered in flag stones.  Big job to sort it out.  But sort it out I will!  Determined to 'grow my own'  with a view to getting an allotment.  This is my mini allotment to see how I get on.  Reading all the entries on this site, I know I shall learn loads...
Does anyone know of a good mag I can be getting in the meantime.  For thickoes like me, very green at all this.  I tired one that dealt with chickens and pigs as well as veggies.  Bit too much really!! ??? ???
When the going gets tough, the tough get going!!

westsussexlottie

• Acre
Re: Hi I'm the new girl
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 18:19:55 »
Agree - Kitchen Garden. But reading on here is more valuable!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 22:10:45 »
Welcome Pembo!  Sounds like you are going to keep yourself out of mischief and working hard all summer long!

I would agree that Kitchen Garden mag is excellent.  It covers pretty much everything and is easy reading. ;D

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 07:24:28 »
Hi Pembo
hope you enjoy yourself here. You will get all the help you need they are a nice bunch.
Just ask a question and you will get an answer, even if you think its something simple.
Good luck with your plot
Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 08:53:20 »
Welcome Pembo

Hee's your first really good tip - remove the flagstones from the growing area rather than trying to dig them into the soil. It's far easier - honest. ;D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 08:54:10 »
Oh yes, and if you want rid of them just get in touch with a nearby allotment site, they'll snatch your hand off.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 11:23:59 »
lol brenton ;D

and welcome  - you wont stay 'the new girl' for very long ;)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 16:06:09 »
Hi and welcome.  :D I'd keep the flagstones if you are planning on getting an allotment, they come in very usefull. I hope your children are enthusiastic about growing their own, mine hate the allotment :(

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 18:41:01 »
Hi Pembo  ;D l'm a newbie too  :) it's amazing the information you can find on here about growing stuff,it seems they all know how to get the best out of your plants.......it's great.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 19:16:06 »
 Hi Pembo, a warm welcome to you, good gardening TIP, stock up on RADOX you will need it. ;D ;D ;D cheers Rosebud.

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 19:17:10 »
Hi Pembo - welcome and hope you have fun with your trial allotment.  Let us see some pics of progress (when you get a moment away from the work that is!)

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 13:37:48 »
Hi Pembo - I'm a newbie too so hello and a big welcome  ;D.  I've found this site to be really helpful and everyone is very friendly (first time I've ever really posted much on a forum and its been a good experience!).  I bought both Grow your own and Kitchen Garden mag but found Kitchen Garden to be much more helpful for a beginner like me.

Best of luck and most of all, enjoy yourself!  :)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 22:32:19 »
Oh yes, and if you want rid of them just get in touch with a nearby allotment site, they'll snatch your hand off.

True - my mates liting some flags and I have snaffled them to go under my shed - when I get one.  Another mate, who also has a lottie tried to snaffle them for his shed the next day  ;D.  He's been left with a few piddling ones.  I did give him some tomato plants yesterday though.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 08:34:44 »
welcome pembo!
its really good here-you'll love it!
watch the back...
dont do too much on one day..
get kitchen garden.
and come here often!
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal