Author Topic: Sweetcorn Disaster???  (Read 1477 times)

Lazybones

• Half Acre
Sweetcorn Disaster???
« on: June 01, 2005, 09:19:58 »
Was really chuffed when I went down the lottie last night and planted out loads of things.  Planted out sweetcorn but have realised I have planted them too closely together.  What was I thinking  >:(  If I go down and move them will this be too much root disturbance?  Didn't put them in peat pots to start with so just planting them out would have disturbed them.  Has anyone else done this and still managed to harvest from them?  Grrrr - must read Joy Larcom BEFORE going down there in future  >:(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Sweetcorn Disaster???
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 09:39:17 »
What spacing have you used? My problem with corn is that it takes so long to ripen that much of it never gets there!

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 10:07:39 »
When digging them up you could try to ensure that you get as much soil around the roots as well so as to minimise root disturbance.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 10:34:49 »
personally unless they are REALLY close together (less than a foot) I would just leave them and take a chance rather than disturb them again.  Mine are fairly close too as I always forget to check the spacings.  Having said that I went to Ryton Organic Gardens on Sunday and they actually advise spacing things closer together in the bed and they reckon you get a higher yield.

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 10:46:40 »
Hmmm, but unfortunately they are definitely less than a foot apart  :-\  Stupid me didn't really think properly when I was doing it.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 11:14:59 »
My OH says you should be okay to move them as they have not been in the soil long enough for the roots to start moving into the new soil.  Just make sure you take a handful of the soil around the roots when you do it.  He has made this mistake before too.  Gook luck!  :)  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal