Author Topic: Growing Garlic  (Read 11062 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Growing Garlic
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 18:56:17 »
Looking good bunnycat.

Don't forget garlic growers, give Gavins pickled garlic a go - they are to die for.

And don't forget to try some garlic whilst it is still 'green'.  Young and sweet!

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 18:59:53 »
I've been told that young, sweet garlic is gorgeous when roasted, so I might have to give that a try :P

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2005, 02:58:18 »
Hi All,
         Just a note for those growing Garlic for its medicinal qualities, once subjected to heat its natural anti-biotic properties are for the most part lost.

It is only when eaten in the raw state that virtues of this wonderful herb enhance your health and wellbeing.

PREMTAL ;)

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2005, 10:12:50 »
BUT NOT YOUR BREATH ;)
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2005, 13:42:31 »
Thanks Tim and Wivvles for the links :D :D

Never tried pickled garlic, but it sounds delicious :D

selwyn-smith

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2005, 13:54:15 »
Hello there
As we are on the topic of garlic, I wonder if anyone can help me with some info on, WHEN DO YOU HARVEST GARLIC ?  Any advice would be very welcome.
P.S. just planted my toms out in the lottie, it was very hard to leave them and come home. Hope they'll be all right.....
Katy

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2005, 14:56:36 »
Just found this on another site:

As garlic reaches maturity, the leaves will brown then die away. This is the cue that it is time to harvest your garlic crop. If you harvest too early the cloves will be very small, too late and the bulb will have split.
Once picked, it is essential that garlic is dried properly, otherwise it will rot. The bulbs are often hung up in a cool, dry place. After a week or so, take them down and brush the dirt off gently - don't wash the bulbs at this stage.

Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2005, 15:40:39 »
Sprout,

The other problem with leaving garlic in the ground too long is that itt rots - very quickly. So when they go brown, dig 'em up quick!!

Phil

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2005, 15:57:22 »
I've always grown mine from cloves planted direct in the garden either in very early spring, or better yet, in late Autumn. I'm not sure that they transplant well, and who would need to anyway? Reason I say that is the pics from Bunnycat show garlic in very shallow containers. What plans have you got for them Bunny?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2005, 16:55:50 »
My best come from cloves I save myself, and plant as soon as I harvest. So I have garlic in all the year round.

selwyn-smith

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2005, 17:11:50 »
Thanks Sprout,
 I really wouldn't want to leave them too late. I'm growing some elephant garlic, it's huge they look more like leeks.
Katy

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2005, 17:34:44 »
So right, Wiv - I was thinking of the ones I had done myself. Esp the lemon one.

Harvesting? From the Horse's mouth -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/photo04/7902fd73.jpg

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2005, 19:46:35 »
I've always grown mine from cloves planted direct in the garden either in very early spring, or better yet, in late Autumn. I'm not sure that they transplant well, and who would need to anyway? Reason I say that is the pics from Bunnycat show garlic in very shallow containers. What plans have you got for them Bunny?

Hi kk

I'll be using them for cooking as both myself and hubby adore Italian food, cooked with pleanty of garlic ;D
As it's my first ever attempt, I've no idea how they're going to turn out but all the literature I've seen says they do well in tubs. Fingers crossed, eh?
I'll post another photo when I harvest them :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2005, 20:17:53 »
bunnycat - PLEASE don't be put of by this but, as ken hinted, you may have a problem.

Don't expect to get fat bulbs from a trough. Cloves are normally planted 6" apart, 2" deep in fertile soil. Yes, you'll get some tasty stems, but don't expect too much?

Prove me wrong??

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2005, 20:58:43 »
As I said, I'm only giving them a go at the moment to see what happens ;D
I don't have anywhere BUT containers to grow veggies so if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I've got onions in a big container and potatoes in compost sacks as well, and I'm about to have a go at runner beans in a tub with canes, too.
I'm really just taking pot luck to see what works in tubs and what doesn't :-\
If it's a failure, I'll try something else next time, or do toms again as I've had a lot of success with cherry ones in tubs ;D
There's still lots for me to play with and I grow herbs as well, so all won't be lost ;D

All advice is greatly appreciated, so thanks to both you and ken for your thoughts, tim :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 21:07:20 by bunnycat »

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2005, 21:18:40 »
"Just taking pot luck " ;D

Thats a good 'un Bunn  ;D

Your like me, not much room so all my veggies grow in pots too and its fun seeing what works and what doesnt  :)

shirl

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2005, 21:40:22 »
All my garlic is growing in containers too, but mine is growing hydroponically!

And since its in perlite I can gently scrape it back and have a peep underneath.  The original bulb is dying off and theres a little ball of new garlic underneath it!  ;D ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2005, 23:14:32 »
My skin and blister grew garlic in pots last year and did pretty good.  I think lack of water is the biggest problem.  She only has a small garden so is growing everything in pots, even her sweetcorn!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal