Author Topic: Allotment Newbie!  (Read 4238 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Allotment Newbie!
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005, 23:28:03 »
RC   You're like me - always on here instead of weeding the plot  ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 09:06:52 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

Munchkin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2005, 09:05:19 »
I thought I would update you all - we are now official!  we got the key and have been up for a look at the plot.  Its not as bad as we thought it would be (infact we went straight to the most overgrown plot expecting it to be ours but it wasn't!) It has a brand new shed, and although completely un-dug it looks like it has been mowed.  The OH was all for dashing back with a spade but I managed to hold him back! will start this weekend though.

Good to see some other newbies and that we are not the only ones!  Hello to you all.  Its only now that we realise we are pretty clueless about growing veg - enthusiastic but sadly inexperienced.  So pleased I have found this site!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2005, 09:15:48 »
Gosh munchkin I got excited for you anorl - I would not have been able to resist either.  Best sit down though (with lagers) and take stock.  Fab news about the shed you lucky thing  :) Me, being headstrong and rash, would plant stuff in any available bit of soil, pot or bag without further ado.  The best bits of my plot are the bits round the edges where the soil is crumbly and weed free (kind of) as the hedge grew over most of it so I'm planting in those.  It might not be text book but hey what thee eck.  The great big weedy expanse in the middle (oh that) I put my deck chair on it  ;D

The plot can be a pleasure or a chore so don't go mad  ;D

Munchkin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2005, 12:43:53 »
Thanks Wardy

The lagers are coming out tonight so that we can hatch a plan!  The OH has already a pile of seed packets and fished out all of the gardening books we possess so we will see what we can work out.  The plot is bigger than we expected, and we will have to get a padlock for the shed - the lottie costs £10 a year and the shed another £10 a year, Bargain ;)  We have no idea what  the soil is like yet, its over the other side of town so is most probably a bit different to our garden, but other plots look very productive so it all looks exciting and hopeful!  Fingers crossed we can get things going, and keep going!

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2005, 15:43:25 »
why is the soil over the other side of town?
is it a long way from your lottie?
praps the council keep the soil in a different place to the lotties to stop people nicking it! ;D ;D ;D
and after that miniature brainstorm.
welcome to a4a and enjoy your lottie!gardening is sooooo wonderful -you'll enjoy it!and if the slugs win one week-you win the next!
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2005, 16:20:14 »
Munchkin    You see - all this expert advice from Kitty and I FREE.  You can't go wrong  ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2005, 16:22:22 »
yes-or you could wait for tim phil or jerry to come along with sensible advice!!!!!! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2005, 07:09:43 »
What ever you are on Kitty I will have to get some

Welcome Munchkin get down there this week end and enjoy yourself you will get some sensible advice from most of the others on here.

Sorry Kitty  ;D ;D

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2005, 08:34:51 »
i take it as a compliment sluggy! ;) :-*
your lottie coming along ok is it?
things are strting to s lo w  downplanting wise...maintenance and 'titivating' now!
kitty
x
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2005, 12:14:51 »
Hi and to echo everyone else WELCOME  ;D  ;D

we're new to the world of lotties too so not the best source of advice but I think the important thing is to grow something rather than get in too much of a stress about how the plot looks and trying to get rid of ALL the weeds. We've divided our plot into beds and sort of planned out how we're going to rotate things and from there we're just doing a bit at a time. Digging is so time consuming and very rough on dodgy backs so like Wardy we're using lots of black plastic and a bulb planter.

I don't think inexperience matters if you've got lots of enthusiasm - sounds like there are lots of us in the same boat and there are lots of brains here for us to pick :)

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2005, 06:41:57 »
Meant in the best possible taste Kitty ::)

Not slowed down yet, been making a fence for the plot as I am right on the track through the allotments.
Got that much stuff to use up its looking like a timber and scrap yard at the moment.
Finished planting for this year not going to try and get as much as possible in, just going to concentrate on getting ready for next year. It should be totally different by next spring.

That makes me think of a new question "What do plottie holders do in the winter" (hibernate)?

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2005, 09:22:49 »
Dig, when I can get there. trouble is, the early nights severely limit the time I can spend. Otherwise I do other things, and get frustrated over the amount of work I'm not managing to get done on the plot.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2005, 11:58:59 »
That makes me think of a new question "What do plottie holders do in the winter" (hibernate)?
i havent had access to a garden for nearly 3 years so i can tell you what they do-they plot and plan and draw endless diagrams and make seed lists-then cross them out and make new seed lists..then they plot and plan some more.....and then they find a4a and a whole set of new soily chums and they rest and are happy ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal