Author Topic: Growing through plastic and manure...  (Read 2196 times)

Piglottie

• Half Acre
Growing through plastic and manure...
« on: May 23, 2005, 22:34:41 »
Have just been watching the Allotment DVD (one with strange man quoting poetry on top of shed  ::) ).  The guy on there covered his overgrown lottie with cardboard, then manure, then black plastic and then he grew his potatoes through it.  I was thinking of doing something similar with my courgettes and squashes.  New lottie is very overgrown so was going to strim it then put black plastic down, then plant through it.  Do I need to use cardboard, and must I use manure (would be good if I could get some but think the guy on the DVD said it was unrotted - would this be OK?).

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
Re: Growing through plastic and manure...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 07:36:09 »
http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/lasagna_gardening.htm

Hi Piglottie, have a look at the link above it is about what I think you are asking about.
I have just managed to get a book from the library on the subject (the one mentioned) in the link, the book seems to be the only one in the country at the library, it took ages for me to get.

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 16:53:29 »
Thanks Slugcatcher.  Was wondering though if the manure needs to be rotted if I'm going to put it under the plastic - will it damage the plants I want to plant through the plastic (ie squash and courgette?) if its not well rotted? 

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 17:13:44 »
Courgettes should be ok in unrotted manure, so are spuds and cucumbers, oh and beans.  I'm doing the cardboard, sheet mulch thing with my spuds.  The earthing up is a bit of a farce though.  I had no ground prepared so I just used cardboard on top of the weeds, then thick layer of manure and then sheet mulch with holes cut in and put a spud in. They are up  :)  I think I'll take the black mulch off now.  I'll report back on the spuds later in the year.

The areas of ground I have covered with sheet mulch are doing a good job of weed clearing as I had a look under the other day.  Just a few wilting dandelions left.  I'm going to plant my cabbages in it and maybe some leeks (without digging it)  If I dig it even more weeds will come to the surface  :o
I came, I saw, I composted

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 20:53:36 »
An elderly gentleman you claims to have been growing on his Lottie for nearly 30 years, advised me against putting unrotted manure under my runner beans as the beans will cause upset tummy when eaten and I'll be running to the loo :o
Anyone else heard this?

Aidy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 09:49:55 »
Hi Piglottie!!
This year I am growing most of my crops under the weed fabric (Weed Guard) and all but the garlick are doing well, the idea is similar to the no dig method but at the end of the crop I will dig the ground to remove any stubborn weeds namely marestail, I myself only use rotted manure but have never heard of the upset tum before.
Have fun
Aidy

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 10:46:10 »
You've got me worried now Roy  :(    Thinking about it though the beans would not be in contact directly with the manure.  Could food poisioning bacteria be transferred into the beans???   Folks have been gardening for yonks with manure though haven't they so I think I'll risk it.  But unrotted manure might be different so better not.  Shall I or shan't I?   ;D 

What's the worst that could happen?  Botulism!  No-one ever died from botulism did they?  They did!!!!

I'll get me coat  :)

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 12:43:41 »
Roy - is it only with runners that unrotted manure may cause tummy probs or is is a general thing and will happen with anything - I was thinking of planting courgettes (have some lovely little plants here  :)) and squashes.

Aidy - thanks for the help.  Was the weed guard fabric expensive?  I've been struggling to get hold of something and read about using Silage sheet - anyone know about it or where to get it from?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 14:45:47 »
PL   Check out Alplas website who sell rolls of black sheet mulch at a good price for loads.  i think it's www.alplas.co.uk
 :)

Aidy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 16:13:38 »
Bought mine from Wilkinsons, its about 13.99 for a 25meter roll that covers a lot of beds, its has been a success well worth the money, one other tip is to fill those pop bottles with sand and use them to keep it down, I was originlay told to fill them with water but there is a problem with in that when the sun gets to a certain angle the bottle acts as a magnifing glass and burns through the fabric.
With having a baby girl and an older one demanding time I looked for a method where if needed to I could leave for a week or two without going back to a jungle and it has proved a big success.

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 23:15:27 »
Thanks Wardy - site address is www.allplaz.co.uk.  Will work out exactly how much I need and compare prices.

Have a great weekend everyone - I'm off camping in the Lakes so am hoping my tomatoes are going to be OK (have just put them outside).  Worse than a broody hen  ;D - addictive this lottie lark!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal