Author Topic: Really ill Rhodies!  (Read 2035 times)

undercarriage plan

Really ill Rhodies!
« on: May 23, 2005, 20:13:59 »
I have two spectacular rhodies in pots which inherited.  I've had them several years and they've always been fine.  In erica.....s compost, good watering, but the leaves are drooping and falling off!  How can I save them? Any ideas gratefully received.  Lottie  PS One has just finished flowering, and one was about to flower. Thanks

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Really ill Rhodies!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 22:29:40 »
Check for vine weevil. Otherwise repot in fresh compost and add some ground up (chopped up small) rhododendron leaves to the compost.
Gardening is the great leveller.

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 22:59:41 »
Hi

Are the rhodies pot bound?

I had a problem with one of mine last year, and I eventually repotted it and it's been fine since.

Also if possible use an eric...ous fertilizer which will work wonders.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 23:44:40 »
Are you watering them with tap water or rain water??  Tap water is limey so will be neutralising the acid compost.  Wind damage maybe?  Or lack of water causing leaf drop...

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 00:09:31 »
All I can add to the good advice is if you dont have rain water use water from a pool if not rain water will have to do but leave it stand for a day for the cloride to evaporate.
You could try to give a dose of sequesten the tonic the day after a good watering.does well for erica plants.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 19:45:19 »
Thanks all.  Will be very busy, cos going to do it all!  Check for weevils, repot, add food and the rest.  They will survive!!! Lottie  ;D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 20:01:19 »
Hi
Sorry should read if you dont have rain or pool water use tap but leave for a day or so to let the nasties evaporate.
Good luck they are tough and survive on leaf mould in the big parks they do like shade.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal