Author Topic: stihl strimmers  (Read 3679 times)

Justy

• Hectare
stihl strimmers
« on: May 22, 2005, 08:10:26 »
has anyone ever used a Stihl petrol strimmer?  We are looking to buy one and can get a 20cc one for £100.  Seems a lot and have seen petrol strimmers cheaper elsewhere but guy says Stihl are one of the best.  Any advice?

ken (69)

• Acre
Re: stihl strimmers
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 08:37:49 »
Not a Stihl, Justy, but those stocked by B/Q I've found to be reliable. Forget the name begins with an M..make chainsaws too...a big range starting from £70.Mine literally has been used every day for several years without a spot of trouble. Whatever you buy you need to check spares availability for when it's out of guarantee.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 18:50:20 »
B & Q stock Mountfield I think Ken

Justy, £100 seems cheap to me, Stihl is a good make.  I am buying OH a brushcutter for his birthday, doesn't know yet. (Not sure what the difference is between a strimmer and a brushcutter).  When I asked about the best thing to have for doing more than the garden, I was told by more than one person not to get a bent shaft.  So OH is getting one with a straight shaft.

MM

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 08:39:11 »
Mine is a McCulloch TrimMac210..a yellow lightweight strimmer ideal for edging and trimming where grass meets the patch 20-1 ixture and using the blue line..A brushcutter, MM, can take a hard blade. Formerly had a Ryobi, still good but the Mac is better. Perhaps Stihl is even  more reliable.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 09:07:16 »
Ken, I thought that was the case but then when I looked in the catalogue there is a strimmer/trimmer that will take a blade.  ???
Still as long as the one I've bought the OH does the job we want it too do, I don't much care what it's called  ;D

MM

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 10:33:51 »
hey all
got the day off work and went to b&q and what did i find and get but a 20 cc strimmer reduced from 80 quid to wait for ot 50 quid
it is a right bargin as i no someone who has got the same one at the other price  ::)
get down to B&Q
matt  ;D

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 14:45:02 »
Mine is a McCulloch TrimMac210..a yellow lightweight strimmer ideal for edging and trimming where grass meets the patch

I'm thinking about getting one of those.  How tough is it Ken?  Could it deal with knee high couch grass and a few young brambles?

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 17:22:27 »
Wow, Waggi. a good price that....MM ...a brushcutter would need more power.This machine of mine will strim high grass..perhaps two attempts... but not brambles, Mub.....no problem..always carry secatuers...Overall a strimmer is a darned good investment for a gardener....organic too. Joke.....invented by Yellowstone National Park Rangers...downside all the snakes are deaf....boom..boom.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 17:28:05 »
we are going for the Stihl, in fact hubby on his way home with it now.  I am sure we could get a cheaper one but several people have said that the Stihls are good and the hire shop where we are getting it from have done us a deal and also let us borrow an even bigger one FOC over the weekend to get the worst of it down first!  Always want to put my money where it is deserved!

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 18:28:04 »
strimmer update
just been and done the lottie and it looks a load better
i did grass up two a foot high and two brambery lenths (shhhhhhhh dont tell the wife)
not a problem at all stright though the lot
what a bargin

Jen-mar

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 20:12:36 »
Waggi

I got one of them last week and cleared a big nettle patch and a few stray brambles with it over the weekend. Also did a bit of tidying on the long grass.

So far well impressed, an absolute bargain

Mark

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 22:16:10 »
come on the B&Q strimmer massive ( i think that is what they call it )
i am well pleased
matt
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal