Author Topic: Something's wrong with my azalea  (Read 6594 times)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Something's wrong with my azalea
« on: May 22, 2005, 14:40:38 »
Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my azalea.  It usually bears masses of bright pink flowers and this year, nothing :'(  It has a very peculiar fungus like growth on it.  Anyone recognise it and if so, how can I treat it, or is it a goner :-\ :(
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
Re: Something's wrong with my azalea
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 18:07:38 »
??? Can't help much except that what you are saying is fungus looks like lichen. You often see it on plants near coastal areas & things old. There are lots of different kinds, but as far as I know it doesn't hurt the plants.  Sorry I can't offer any more info  ::) Good luck  :)
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 18:30:49 »
Not certain, by any means, but it looks really simiar to a blight that has been attacking box plants in our area.  But ar eal shot in the dark.  I'd give it a blast with a fungus spray.  If it is blight though, I don't hold out much hope. Other alternative is to prune out problem? Or will that leave you with no plant.Sorry not more help.  Lottie  :'( :'(

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 19:37:09 »
Oh looks like lichen.
Mine is facing west sheltered by a tree from the north winds and a fence from the East they dont like the sun in the morning burns flower buds.
If its in the ground clear around the base and top dress with compost and water in sequestion before top dressing its like a iron tonic great for plants suffering. and see what happens this summer.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 21:26:06 »
Have to say that I agree with Teresa, it is lichen.  Doesnt do any harm to the tree at all.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 22:31:32 »
Thanks all.  I didn't realise there were different kinds of lichen.  I thought it was that yellow flat fungus type.  I have this on my ballerina apple tree.  This is different, it rubs off when you touch it and is a blue/grey colour.  I must admit I hadn't thought of watering with sequestrine, I will do this.  Glad to hear that it does not harm the plant, just doesn't look very nice :(

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 22:48:10 »
Hi Pat,
let us know how you get on, think your plants may be struggling for goodness. The apple if you feed it rose fert in Feb and again in June you should see a difference there did this with our old brambley worked wonders.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 22:51:17 »
From what i can see, it could be lichen, or it could equally well be some nasty fungus disease. Someone knowledgeable really needs to look at this in the flesh, as the pic doesn't show enough detail to be sure.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal