Author Topic: Quick, but urgent, nutrient boost for sandy soil needed...  (Read 1872 times)

Gadfium

• Acre
I'm off to my Aunt's shortly. She lives in Norfolk, has very sandy soil, and has a small (about 8' x15') vegetable bed, a lot of which isn't used. Since my last visit I have suddenly got, if not green, then off-turquoise fingers...

...so I am taking with me a small selection of tomatoes (outdoor), a handful of module grown cabbages/sprouts/caulis, a couple each of peas, green beans (small & climbing), a butternut squash, a courgette, a carving pumpkin for her granddaughter, salsola, a mini cucumber (outdoor), a melon; and some carrot, pea, mangetout, mixed lettuce, broad bean and parsnip seed.

The problem is that these will need to go straight into the ground... and that ground is free-draining but starved of feed. Now I don't have to worry about being 'organic', but I definitely have to shove something in, and I'm pretty sure that stuffing manure right on top (that's if I can get any when I am there) isn't a terrific idea when you have to plant within a couple of days.

What can I do? Get some 3 for 2 bags of compost? Buy something granular like chicken manure? The problem is that, being a newcomer to the whole subject, I know it needs something, but I don't know what to buy.

All suggestions gratefully received. I travel down on Saturday, but, of course can buy whatever's needed down there.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: Quick, but urgent, nutrient boost for sandy soil needed...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 09:58:07 »
Manure now will be fine for things like spuash, courgette etc. They are heavy feeders and will like the muck at their feet.

You could even mix some in for the toms or just put some on the soil surface around them. This will feed and muclch them to improove moisture retention.

Manure under the peas and beans will be OK as well. They will put their roots down into it and again it will hold moisture.

If looking for other feeding ideas I would use some fish blood and bone as a slow release general feed and may be some pelleted chicken manure for a nitrogen boost.

If you cannot find any free or cheap suppliers of well rotted manure locally nip to the garden centre. They sell bags of manure often called 6X that will work very well.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 09:59:50 »
i have a small area of the plot which needs improving, too.
i noticed my local supermarket selling growbags for 99p. i thought i might get some of those and make a hole in the ground where i am to plant my toms and peppers etc and fill with the growbag contents.

btw, what exactly IS in a growbag?
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 10:04:18 »
Manure so I'm told when I asked up at the plot the other day  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 12:26:42 »
looks like manure.  I bought some for the first time a couple of weeks ago to use as spud planters.  I always thought they were just compost but the stuff is really rich looking.  Have now spread contents over lottie too.

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 22:46:57 »
Thanks Jerry,

Will first try to find some horse muck, then move on to your other suggestions.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 22:33:29 »
Please do not buy peat bails or growbags. It will not really do much good in improving your soil. The best stuff is MUCK and lots of it. Or garden compost. Try telephoning your local council and asking them if they sell bags of rotted compost.  Also start a compost heap or get/make  a compost bin. Save all your green kitchen waste like vege peelings etc. (NO Meat of cooked foods as this can attract vermin)
Be kind to slugs and snails!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 22:22:59 »
Gadfium,

If it's a large area you're intending to improve then the "soil improvers" are the way to go. They are cheaper than the fertilisers and put body into the soil.

Progrow is one that is produced by a contractor from the recycled green waste of several counties - otherwise most garden centres sell it - Wyevale have a 3 bags for £10 offer for instance

Phil

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 23:06:42 »
Thanks everyone.

Contents of my Aunt's compost bin (large) which had been stewing for several years, is over/in the veg plot. Plus some horse muck. All plants safely in, and were nicely recovered from their transplant before I left.

:)

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 11:29:23 »
chicken poo pellets
 ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal