Author Topic: Undisciplined tomatoes.  (Read 3368 times)

David R

• Acre
Re: Undisciplined tomatoes.
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 13:05:02 »
Toms originally come from semi shrubby conditions in S America, they basically scamble up and over rocks and other plants. Saw a nice picture of wild toms in a book some time ago. The plants were also trailing down some bare rocks. The plants grow along rather than up!

I guess its in their genes to not grow straight

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2005, 16:05:09 »
Jo,

I would have them in 5" pots now, if they are for indoors or plant them out if they are outdoor

Phil

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2005, 09:01:08 »
Last count I've got 80 plants so they will have to go where I've got space.  I bought the B&Q mix though I didn't label them.
I'm going to try to give away at least ten to relatives
I'm planning on lifting some turf,,mixing in loads of compost  and grit then staking about 10-15 in a row. So I can get 30 - 45 (if I'm sneaky) in the ground.

The rest I was thinking, after someone told me I needed 18 inch pots per plants, will go in black buckets from Wickes with holes drilled in them. About 18 inches each and £1 each.
My OH won't let me dig up any more of the garden. Its not that we don't have the space its just the only place not shaded by the trees is the nicest place to sit.

Thanks for you help, I've taken today and tomorrow off work to get the Green house sorted and now its gone grey!!
On a plus note my tumbling toms are in a 2 tier basket thingy and are out in the front and loving it.

Jo

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2005, 09:17:00 »
Jo,

You could save the money on buckets by visiting your local large supermarket and scrounging the black bucket things that they get their cut flowers in - they are usually glad to get rid of them

Phil

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2005, 11:38:20 »
Thanks for that Phil.
So I'm right that I need 18 inch pots?
Jo

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2005, 12:10:24 »
Anything over 12" should be good enough - the larger the better and they will require less frequent watering.

If you can place the pots on soil then you could use the ring culture method which will reduce watering -

Cut the bottoms out of the "pots", place where they are to be used, fill with plants and compost.

The tomatoes develop 2 sets of roots,

one for water - these go straight down into the soil which you then water       (but less than if you were having to supply all the water in the pot.
     the second set takes feed from near the base of the stem, so you feed the pot.

Phil

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2005, 16:16:37 »
Probably a bit late, but I have caned mine for bad behaviour. Should have caned earlier then I wouldn't have had this problem.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2005, 23:00:19 »
I grow tomatoes outside and they are more disciplined as they don't head for the light so grow upwards in an orderly fashion.   :)
I came, I saw, I composted

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2005, 09:01:59 »
Wardy,

Upwards is where the light is, so they do head for it! ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal