Produce > Edible Plants

Seeds - seduced by a name...

(1/8) > >>

Hyacinth:
;D  Ordered most of my seeds yesterday, and how could I resist the allure of Good King Henry, or not want to try Marvel of Four Seasons lettuce in the summer?  Ahhhh, sheer poetry!!

btw. the celeriac I'm giving a go for the 1st time is BALDER - anyone tried it?...and

Florence Fennel - SELMA? Says that it's slow to bolt. Stephan/anyone,  is it as good as Rudy?

My dwarf french beans, along with yellow and rainbow chard, are going to be a riot of colour..got green, purple and sungold..

and again, thanks to Stephan's recommendation, even the beet (Chioggia) is going to be stripey.

Purple sprouting..they've a new one RED ARROW, which promises to mature to picking in about 3 months?

OH! and has anyone grown Harbinger toms, please?

All these will be new varieties to me.

I'm so looking forward to next season!! - Lishka

tim:
Don't forget the Golden Beet (non staining) - a must!! But sow 3 times as many as normal - temperamental.

Red Arrow didn't do us too well - but we mess up lot's of things.

Harbinger - yes - like it. HDRA say if you have only one type, have that. = Tim

campanula:
ooooh tim, i am smacking my lips. great veggie pics! I am so looking forward to growing mine. my garden is so tiny that i only ever grew tomatoes and herbs. I have had a demented time looking through catalogues and am frequently seduced by the names and pics. There are a lot of us who are new to vegetable growing so advice or suggestions from people who actually grow the veggies rather than sell them, is priceless. I read Gavin's tattie reviews and promptly ordered Red Duke of York, Pink Fir Apple and Kestrel potatos. Can we have more suggestions and picsif possible.
Thanks, suzy

Doris_Pinks:
Aha Tim, you have answered a query for me! I was going to give up on the golden beetroot cos of it's poor show for the past 2 years, now thanks to you I shall put in 3 seeds per plant! Thank you  ;D
Campanula, I have an awful habit of not jotting down what I have grown, where and when, which is a very bad habit!! Must be my New Years resolution to get a book and keep notes ;D
I am pouring over potatoes at the mo, and so far have only come up with Kestrel, and I definately want to give Anya a go. I do not bother to grow main croppers as they take up far too much space and time for my liking,(plus the slugs seem to get to em before me) so I stick to the first and second earlies.
I would highly recommend bright lights chard, and you have to have a squash or 6! I have always had luck with butternut. Growing loads more of them next year.
Courgettes are a must, I find 8 plants are way too many for this family of 4, and am constantly giving them away to anyone that will take them! I grow defender, yellow, and green round ones. (see if I had written the name in a book.......!)  Rambled enough! Dottie P.

Mrs Ava:
I am horrendous!  I buy at least 50% of my seeds purely because I like the name!  :o The other 25% are made up of odd lookers and weird colours (doing purple sprouts next year!)  :D and then the last 25% are sensible seeds purchased because they are good croppers or disease resistant.  8)  I lurve beetroot (is there a veg I don't like  ???) and the golden ones look yum, gotta try 'em!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version