Author Topic: Applying Farmyard Manure.  (Read 2645 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Applying Farmyard Manure.
« on: May 22, 2005, 17:42:00 »
I was asked about applying farmyard manure. I'm trying to answer it here so that others can correct me. One assumes it's well matured.

Normally in the Autumn. Why?? Because it's the end of the season and land is being prepared for next year?? To give time for it to be thoroughly incorporated?? To minimise the chance of lumps coming into contact with things like lettuce & causing rot??  But if it's new land, get it on as soon as possible??

Whatever the guide lines, I get manure or compost onto each bit of land as soon as it becomes vacant.

How best to incorporate??
Although I have observed on the apparent negative effect rotovating has on worms, I'm afraid that I am beyond the age when I could dig muck in thoroughly, & do resort to the machine. I feel that the benefit gained outweighs the loss of the worms. But we do try to spade dig an area
each year & the 'wildlife' does seem to return.

Additionally, muck is dug in for special purposes - beans, celery, courgettes etc. - & used as a mulch in many other cases - as advised by 'the book'.

Comments welcomed!

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
Re: Applying Farmyard Manure.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 18:41:48 »
Thanks Tim

MM

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 17:43:15 »
Ive heard varied ways- one i think is probably best is to cover the ground that has been manured after doing so in autumn to prevent the goodness being washed too deep into the soil, by rain and snow and such.
I LOVE OP AMPS!

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 18:31:24 »
is there a set ratio of muck to soil and stuff
you no what i mean been a long day

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 18:38:28 »
"A barrowload/sqyd" - ??

No, don't ask how big's your barrow!!

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 22:22:52 »
should i get a lot now and leave it to rot it down till then
i need a big pile then do i ????????????????????
 ??? ??? ;D ::)

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 07:42:48 »
I would say the bigger the pile the better, you can always save some to compost down if you dont use it all on the ground straight away.
I will be getting some soon I hope

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 10:28:17 »
Tim,

I would save your back by not digging it in. If there is a fair gap between crops then spreading it on the ground with a cover, carpet, cardboard etc and the worms will take it to the depth where it is most valuable - in the top 4".

Compost and FYM burtied more than 4" is absorbed into the soil but has much less benificail effects.

Phil

PS I wish I had even for even a small barrow load per sq yd - my plot is lucky to get half that!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal