Allotment Stuff > Allotment Movement

NOT HAPPY

(1/3) > >>

littlegem:
 >:(
there is an 8 plot allotment across from our house, we had a nosy a few weeks ago and 2/3 seemed unused, so i phoned bassetlaw council to see if we could get one, she said that some were split into two, so more than 8 there, but they were all being used, she put us on the waiting list. spoke to a gentleman on there today and he said that one guy still had potatoes in from last year! one guy has 5 plots!! so i phoned the council back and said this, she said she would find out if the first fellow was giving his up, i asked if we could have it if he did, she said that a fellow who already had a plot was on the list before us!!! i asked if it was fair that there was people having more than one plot when we didnt have any and she said that they dont restrict the amount that one person has, i said 'surely allotments are for domestic use and surely no-one can eat all that is being grown on 5 plots, (rule of not allowing plots to be used for growing and then selling stuff) but she still said they could have as many plots as they want. surely this isnt fair ???

Marley Farley:
:( Hi littlegem, Have to agree with you on that one. That is totally unfair. >:( I think that because more of us want to grow are own, so that we know what we are eating, it should be limited to one plot for a family of 4 & 2 plots if over 4 BUT you have to actively grow in the 1st 2 yrs or off THE LOTTIE. >:( Ahhhh if only life were so easy :) :) :) It's a shame your council don't take more of an interest in what is actually going on.  I have found in the past you can some times kick them into action by bombarding them with mail, email or snail mail as all councils have to log & respond to the written word :) :)  ;D ;D I know it can be inconvenient but you can have a secret smile of satisfaction that you are making them do something at least however small that they don't really want to do ;D ;D ;D. Well that my personal opinion :D ;D ;D Good Luck!!!!!!

philandjan:
Try putting your name down for the next 5 allotments and see what they say! Also ask them what the policy is about leaving plots untended and have they ever ejected anyone for not using their plot.

Pah....bl##dy councils  >:(

wardy:
It drives you mad doesn't it that councils are so blase about their plots and don't give a jot if they are tended or not just so long as they are collecting rent. We were looking over some unused ones yesterday which we think a voluntary group has taken on and paid rent on just to get some funding - not for the plot though!  They worked one day on it and dug an enormous hole.  Then went and never returned.  The Allotment Society has done stuff all about it.  My mate checked and the rent is paid.  We are thinking of just nicking it!  Why not?  At least it would get looked after.

If you think the council are fobbing you off and you know there is a plot available you should go after it and chase them up.  If you can prove there's no-one tending it then they should let you have it.  Stir em up LG!

littlegem:
wardy - I can prove that there is a plot not being used, BUT there's a guy already having a plot that is on the waiting list before me, so he'll just get it anyway!!!!! Its prob the guy who has five plots but the council doesnt know that!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version