Author Topic: Penstemons  (Read 1918 times)

Rox

• Half Acre
Penstemons
« on: May 14, 2005, 09:17:07 »
In early March I pr***ed out some penstemon seedlings and put them 3 per 3" pot. They have been growing well and now are about 3 inches tall with pots that are full of roots. Question is should I divide them now placing them individually in 3 inch pots, or do they resent being disturbed, and thus should just be repotted to a larger pot and/or thinned?  ??? Many thanks for any advice or suggestions!!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Penstemons
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 17:27:20 »
Personaly I would have pr*cked than out individualy from the start, possibly into smaller pots or cell trays.

However since you have done what you have done, i see no problem in seperating them now. No different to rooted cuttings really. Carefully tease apart the roots to  seperate the individuals then pot up into pots that the root balls will comfortably fit into. Water well and keep out of full sun for a few days. They should be fine and get going again quite quickly.

Hope this helps

Happy Growing!  :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 17:28:58 by Garden Cadet »

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 19:39:55 »
They are tough as old boots and so rewarding.  Yes, by rights, you should have dealt with them sooner but, in my experience, think you will be able to get away with it.  Let them flower for ever!  They will cope with being tidied up in south of England in the autumn but if you are further north, leave them alone until March before you tidy them up by pruning old stems.

Rox, they tolerate being disturbed but how about an experiment of move some and leave the others if you have space and time.  Then you will be able to inform us how it went! 

Sorry, am a penstemon friek!   :D
Muddy Boots

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 16:42:04 »
Join the club MB. ;D

I cant get enough of them either  :D ;D ;)

For me they flower from midsummer richt through to christmas (weather permitting). A great value garden plant i'd say.

Rox

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 08:37:10 »
thanks for the replies GC and MB - I separated and repotted all of them yesterday - watered well and put in a shady spot in the mini greenhouse. They've been looking quite droopy since then, but I'm hoping they'll pick up soon.
Sorry MB - I did the experiment which you suggest vis-a-vis some chamomile that I sowed to thickly in pots - the ones I left as is (i.e., crowded) died, while the ones I separated and repotted made it. So, I think I'm better off with the separation and repotting option for the penstemons at this stage.

thanks for the help!  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal