Author Topic: Planting out dahilas  (Read 2581 times)

Nigella

• Quarter Acre
  • Plant it, eat it!
Planting out dahilas
« on: May 16, 2005, 08:52:10 »
Anyone planted them out yet .... when should I do mine (I line in the south east)   ::)  ;D

Jane the Novice

• Half Acre
Re: Planting out dahilas
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 09:02:55 »
Don't know too much about these sort of things I go very much on trial and error. However I had 4 Dahlias last year. I left 3 of them in the ground over winter and dug up one lot and kept them dry. I re-planted those which had been dry about a month ago. I am pleased to report that all 4 are doing really well. I am in Essex.

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 12:13:17 »
I leave mine out, also the south east, they come back stonger than ever.There is a frost forecast for this week, I don't know if it was our area or not, but I'd look at the forecast, If they've got foliage on and not just the tubers I'd hang on, if its tubers go for it and mulch well.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 12:25:16 »
I leave mine in the ground too, even here in the wet South West they survive and come back bigger and better.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 12:31:33 »
Mine were grown from seed earlier in the spring, and have been out in the garden for about a month now.  They are big and strong already.  Mind you, I am in Essex and my garden is quite sheltered!

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 14:21:48 »
I have grown Pompom and Cactus Dhalias from seed this year. They are still in the cold frame in pots or trays. Most are about 3 to 4 inches tall.

They will stay in the cold frame, open in the day, until the end of the month I expect. Although in Sussex we are in a bit of a frist pocket and dahlias do not like frost. I lost a tray a month or so ago when they got frosted inside the cold frame on a very cold night.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Nigella

• Quarter Acre
  • Plant it, eat it!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 14:27:47 »
Great stuff - thats tonight sorted with a job ! 

Do I need to feed them over the summer ?

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 15:18:30 »
Dahlias are gross feeders. put as much muck/compost in as you can when planting and then they will like lots of water (they originate in a very wet part of Mexico) and food (because of the hybridisation since they were brought from Mexico)

They are frost tender, so it you are planting out tonight, keep an eye out for frosts and cover with fleece if there is frost forecast

Phil

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 18:17:23 »
TYPICAL!!!  Metcheck.com reakons a slight chance of a frost in Essex tonite!!!  Sacre-bleu!! >:(

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 22:20:48 »
I have dahlias, hedychiums and cannas which stay in the ground all year, no mulch, nothing, and we had a few frosts this year and snow, well it lasted  for 3 hours, and all of them are doing fine.

I think they are a little tougher than given credit for, the new growth may be affected by frost though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal