Author Topic: Interesting  (Read 3309 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Interesting
« on: May 12, 2005, 14:58:02 »
Have to produce some vegetarian food and always get confused about what the different types are, so for others in the same boat as me!

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianvegan101/f/faq_vegtypes.htm

Makes it easy to understand!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
Re: Interesting
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 17:29:42 »
Very useful and interesting

i always wondered if vegans could eat honey
I LOVE OP AMPS!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 09:28:29 »
Thanks Dottie. I wish more people would read that.

I'm an Ovo-Lacto Veggie. And it's the bain of my life when I tell people I'm a vegetarian and they offer me the fish option. (but then a lot of people say they are vegetarian and still eat fish, which really annoys me - they are not veggie!) Or worse, on the continent, I tell them I'm a veggie and they say (I've had this twice - honest) you can eat that - it's only got mince in it!

rant over.
gone to pot :D

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 10:10:24 »
lol....that reminds me of the scene in the Royal family where Nanna asks the vegetarian....

"Well can you eat wafer thin ham then"?  :D  :D  :D

maz

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 11:19:17 »
Arghhhhhhhhh I hate eating anywhere but at home.

Yes I get offered fish too  >:(

I stand for hours ( slight exageration ;) ) reading yoghurt labels and stuff like that to make sure Im not eating the wrong thing.

After 15 years it doesnt get any easier.  ::)

Has anyone noticed that although the ingredients dont mention anything anaimal related theres no 'V' to help us either?
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 11:33:42 »
There's always hidden things, Maz. If it says "margarine" I assume it's animal fat. Then there's cheese and whey powder, and E145 (I think). That's another reason why I avoid processed food. (healthier and cheaper too!)
gone to pot :D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 12:46:06 »
I can't eat fish  :'(, and it amazes me things you think are "free" have anchovies in! Worcestershire sauce for example, and some salad dressings.
Luckily I have been an avid label reader since the kids were born, it is almost 2nd nature to me now! And like you lot, we hardly ever eat processed, probably because I cannot be bothered to read the lengthy ingrediants, only to put it back on the shelf cos it has too many preservatives and E numbers in!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 17:06:44 »
I laughed the other day at a comment on the radio about funny things vegetarians had experienced when being asked what they'd like to eat.  Someone actually left the kidney beans out of a chilli as one of the guests was vegetarian :)
I came, I saw, I composted

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 12:57:36 »
lol......now thats a good one wardy  ;D

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 20:22:30 »
Being a dreadful carnivore but having provided meals for veggie friends (thankfully, the understanding kind), I am now dreadfullly confused when people say things like Ovo-Lacto!  Sorry Aqui but does that mean that, although you are a vegetarian, you eat eggs and drink milk? 

I can cope with non meat or fish eaters.  I can cope with vegan.  But, when we get all these middle of the road bits, I have a real problem. 

Basically, this stems from the basis of what people decide is vegetarian for them.  It's easy with carnivores or herbivores, no grey areas but, when confronted by the multiple variations, it's very difficult.  I have no probs catering but really have a problem when someone now say I am veggie because there are so many variations.

I suppose what I am saying is that, when I have had veggie guests for a meal, they don't always explain exactly what their version of veggie means to them!  I'm bad enough cooking for carnivores but when I cook for veggies, somehow, it feels like a minefield but I feel it shouldn't,  because I like lots of vegetarian meals!

Any pointers, please?   :D
Muddy Boots

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 08:59:56 »
Muddy I am just as confused as you. 

My daughter is vegetarian and it makes mealtimes hard to suit everyone.  I made some vegetable burgers which we all enjoyed last night, but it is difficult finding vegetarian meals that the rest of the family enjoy.  Does anyone know of a book/website/recipes that are for one person?  She will be off to university next year and needs to learn to cook for herself!  Also I need things to feed her with when the rest are having meat.

Very grateful for any help!

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2005, 09:09:06 »
I was veggi for a while but my epilepsy drugs contain gelatine so I am stuffed either way.
I used to eat dairy only.  oh well.
Get with the beat Baggy

maz

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2005, 22:26:12 »
Muddy the only pointer I can give is ...ask the person you are cooking for.

As you all say there are so many different versions of veggie. I eat dairy but nothing that has come from a dead animal.

Cheese is a hard one ( chedder?   ;)  ;D ) because some are veggie but not others.

Wardy that was brill  ;D

A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 18:57:44 »
Granose do soya cream called 'Soya Creem'.  I buy mine from Morrisons in the milk cabinet.  It says don't cook with it but I've just had it in pasta sauce and as long as you don't boil it it is fine.
Is parmesan ok ?  re the renet issue ?
Get with the beat Baggy

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 19:00:46 »
Tulippa- linda mccartney vegetarian sausages taste better than real sausages- i love em and i arent a veggie
I LOVE OP AMPS!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal