Author Topic: Moths  (Read 2861 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Moths
« on: May 15, 2005, 20:31:39 »
Hi.  Can anyone identify this moth I saw in my garden today?  I thought I had a good book on moths - Moths of the British Isles by Bernard Skinnner  - but I'm blowed if I can spot it.   :(

Thanks.  G xx

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: Moths
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 20:47:09 »
Hi Georgie, looked up my book and the only Moth it sort of looked like was a Herald.  Have you spotted that one in your book?  Have alook!

:D :D :D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 20:52:19 »
Sorry, Carol, it's certainly not a Herald.  Nothing like it in my book and certainly far to early, even for the smoke!  ;)

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 21:31:49 »
I've just pulled out collins garden wildlife of Britain and Europe and it looks the double of a butterfly called a "Comma" Polygonia c-album.

I've scanned it onto my pc but I've no idea how to print it on my post like the old photoshots you guys do.

If you've got a Collins, look it up this babies a doppelganger...

;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 07:00:29 »
It's definitely a comma.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 08:54:18 »
Hi Georgie, Your Moth is not a moth, it's a Butterfly. Definately a Comma (Polygonia c-album). Your picture is almost identical to the one in my book the only difference is the plant that it's sitting on  :)

Have you tried looking on the net for pictures? If you put Polygonia c-album into your search engine, I'm sure you'll find it. What made you think it was a moth?

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 08:58:42 »
You should find a good picture of a Comma if you go to http://www.butterfly-conservation.org

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 20:33:17 »
Thanks everyone.  Looked it up in the butterfly book and sure enough, it is a comma.  But that's really odd.  I was always given to understand that butterflies close their wings when they land and only moths keep their wings open.  Hence, I thought it must be a moth because it stayed in that position for a good few minutes. 

G xx
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 20:43:28 by Georgie »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 20:37:53 »
Quite a few butterflies will sun themselves with the wings open.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 20:44:52 »
I wish the Holly Blues would, I'm dying to capture their delicate lavender colour.   :(

G xx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal