Author Topic: Brassicas in undug soil  (Read 1786 times)

KeithR

• Not So New ...
Brassicas in undug soil
« on: May 15, 2005, 19:18:57 »

Hi all,

What a great day for allotmenting. I have just got back from a days digging and would like some thoughts on a possible time saving idea.

I have partially dug my allotment after strimming and covering with black plastic. This has kept a lot of the weeds down but I am now left with a dilemma. I have got a lot of brassica plants that are nearly ready for transplanting. I know that they like firm soil so I don't know whether to carry on digging or to cover an undug area with the black weed suppressant membrane and plant the brassicas through that. It should help with the weeds and save time but what sort of crop am I going to get, especially as this is my first allotment and the ground in question has not been dug for several years.

KeithR

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
Re: Brassicas in undug soil
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 19:22:03 »
Keith if the ground as not been dug for a few years as you say, I would advice you to dig the ground, I think it would be much to hard for the plants to grow to there full potential.
                                    :)
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 21:01:02 »
The way I understand it is that if they have been grown in cells or small pots and the roots are well developed, then this provides their 'firm base' and the surrounding soil becomes less important - I have the same problem and this is what I have been told.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 21:28:52 »
My plot is undug and my cabbages are going into to hard soil.  I use a bulb planter.  I know it's possibly not ideal but I'll do anything but dig as my back is still not very good so I'm doing things the lazy way.The topsoil I want to plant in is clear of top weeds as it;'s where I've had a bonfire.  I've planted peas and broad beans in two other areas and they look ok.
I came, I saw, I composted

KeithR

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 18:16:24 »

Thanks to all,

I have decided to give it a try, after all I have got nothing to loose but some seedlings which will not last until I have got that part of the plot dug anyway. I will keep everyone posted as to the outcome.

KeithR

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 21:38:35 »
Yup, I'd go for it too - imho, brassicas are almost as good as potatoes at "weed clearance" (without the earthing up and all the labour :) )

All best - Gavin

[edit]and they'll do a good job of breaking in your soil - you may not get a wonderful crop this year (fingers crossed for you), but next year? [/edit]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 21:41:43 by gavin »

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 09:24:47 »
Ta Gavin for your support  ;D   Like to know that I'm not entirely wasting my time trying to grow stuff this way.  My broad beans do look ok I have to say in the compacted soil.  I planted em where the bonfire had been with some peas there as well.  The peas look pale.  Do you think that's the soil or could it be cold weather?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 13:16:12 »
Talking yesterday to a seasoned lotty bloke and he always plants his sprouts where he walked up and down the rows the previous season.  And some years he moves his main paths so he can use those for the same reason.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal