Author Topic: Newbie help re choosing allotment  (Read 5321 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Newbie help re choosing allotment
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 21:20:17 »
Job 1 - Beg, borrow, rent, buy or steal a petrol strimmer.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 21:22:19 »
 ;D  Cheers Redclanger.  Actually think my mum has one in her shed - I feel a visit is in order!

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 22:12:52 »
I agree with the strimmer bit.  We are just in process of buying one coz the grass and weeds are knee high.  I think that makes it look much worse and daunting than it is.  If it is all strimmed back at least it just looks like nice grass (even though I know it is all  buttercup, thistle, couch grass and bindweed and their nasty little roots are spreading ever onwards........)  Also makes it easier to dig!

p.s congrats on the job - I've just got new one too so know how you feel!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2005, 22:20:20 »
I use a battery-powered one. I have a hedge trimmer which uses the same power pack, and between the two packs, I can go for about an hour with either tool. That's as much as I'm likely to want to do in a day.

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2005, 23:06:44 »
I have had 2 bits of advice that i have found interesting, one was not to dig for more than 30 minutes as you will get bored and disheartened. Better to dig a bit then go and do something else. The other bit of advice which i am a bit sceptical about is not to water the plants too much as it makes their roots spread outwards and not downwards looking for the moisture.
I also think petrol tools are the future, id be lost without my petrol strimmer and mower.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2005, 23:26:39 »
I have had 2 bits of advice that i have found interesting, one was not to dig for more than 30 minutes as you will get bored and disheartened. Better to dig a bit then go and do something else. The other bit of advice which i am a bit sceptical about is not to water the plants too much as it makes their roots spread outwards and not downwards looking for the moisture.

Hi NCB ;D I agree with your advice about digging and I have been following it for a while, but still long for a tiller :'( I think you may have a good point about watering too as Emma J (where has she gone again?) hardly ever waters her Lottie and it's as green as grass in dry Essex 8)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2005, 14:49:21 »
I tend to dig for 20-30 minutes and then have a break, which may well be nothing more than a walk round the site. I can carry on all day like that quite happily.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2005, 16:22:13 »
I didn't water much last year as no water supply nearby the lottie so it meant using a watering can which took forever and I think everything did ok.

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2005, 22:44:48 »
good luck with your new job
good luck with your lottie
i agree with all the other comments as me and my wife have done about 3/4 of the plot this year as you can get carried away and it is to late to plant owt if you aint care ful so i have some more to do next year
i will put spuds in that new ground to get it working
i have lots of black plastic and thats works a treat
matt and helen
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2005, 15:47:17 »
Appreciate all the good lucks (will need it) and thanks for all the advice.  Have been to see lottie today - jungle springs to mind!  Am going to take the plunge and take lottie on, and have posted another thread called "At least its got a shed" for advice on where to begin etc.

Thanks again all!

Adele

PS: Feel like a proper participant of the forum now!  Thanks for making me feel so welcome  ;D

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2005, 22:16:39 »
The other bit of advice which i am a bit sceptical about is not to water the plants too much as it makes their roots spread outwards and not downwards looking for the moisture.

It's true NCB.  In the garden I water all my plants in pots and the greenhouse.  At the lottie I water when I transplant and then leave them even if we don't get much rain.  Makes them stronger in the long run I think.   I would water lettuces if they looked as though they needed a drink.  Good thing really as we only have rainwater on site. :)
MM

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2005, 23:20:56 »
Piglottie   Have pulled back my black sheet mulch put down last November ish and it's cleared the weeds a treat and there's nothing left on the surface just a couple of wizened dandelions.  I put a thick newspaper over each and put the mulch back in place.  On the other hand the bit I put glyphos on had killed the weeds sort of but they are now just a dead thatch so between the two I'd choose the sheet mulch.  I've got thick cardboard down too.  The mulch takes longer than weedkiller but at least it does get rid of everything.  I thought I'd plant cabbages etc in it and use a bulb planter so I don't have to dig it

Have you got a water butt yet?  Best thing you'll ever get on the plot  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2005, 09:20:34 »
Wardy  No butt yet  ;D but will keep an eye out for one - have little shed that needs doing up so hoping to put some guttering along it to help catch rain water.

Definitely going to go with the black sheet mulch.  Plot is 250 m2 so no chance I will be able to dig it all over in the near future anyway (dicky back and there's only sooo much digging hubbie will do!).  So have decided to cover about half to two thirds of lottie with sheet and grow my courgettes and squashes through the plastic.  Have some lovely courgette plants in pots on the windowsill at the moment.  Will dig over rest of plot and weed it (the hard way  ::)) and plant my salads, peas, beans etc and other bits and bobs.  Hopefully by early next year weeds will have died back and I can start clearing and using rest of lottie.

Bit at a time really - but its sooooo addictive!   ;D

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2005, 09:29:08 »
yeah it's great.  there was a time when I'd be thinking what can we do this weekend but now all I want is to be up the lottie  ;D

MM

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2005, 16:17:56 »
aaaaahh.thats good to know mm-i hope the church let you stay.. ;) :)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal