Author Topic: Any ideas what this is?  (Read 7397 times)

alanr

• Not So New ...
Any ideas what this is?
« on: May 13, 2005, 22:41:42 »
We moved this to a pot coz it looked healthy (not much else did at the time!) and whilst we feel it may be a weed, does anyone know what it really is?  Will it flower?  Will it be worth holding on to?

Thanks

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Any ideas what this is?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 23:06:33 »
Looks like a lily

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 23:20:17 »
What's the underground bit like? It looks like somethng which comes up on my allotment, but I've never really sorted out what it is.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 23:26:28 »
No, really, it is a lily

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 23:40:36 »
Sorry MT, but if those spreading bits at the bottom are attached to it, then it looks more like the weed called leafy spurge to me ! 
Alan, wait to see if it develops yellowy green bracts at the top of 3 ft stems !!   ;)   ;D
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 23:42:49 »
I'll bet you a quid ;)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 23:43:31 »
Looks to me too like a form of euphorbia (spurge). I had something similar come up in my garden a few years ago. I kept it thinking it looked nice. Little did i know it was busy seeding itself all over the garden and soon became problem weed no. 1. Just about got rid of it now though.

However I cannot be 100% sure this is what you have (it could wel be some gem worth keeping)

To check if it is at least a euphorbia, try removing a leaf to see if any of the white latex sap appears. If it does a) dont get it on your skin (irritant) and b) this confirms it as a euphorbia. If not then it is something i dont know and i cant help with.

Hope this helps

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 23:52:42 »
I'll bet you a quid ;)

Taken !!   ;)  ;D

P.S.  Care to up the stake a bit ??  :D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 23:54:31 by MagpieDi »
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

alanr

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 00:45:35 »
Sorry MT, but if those spreading bits at the bottom are attached to it, then it looks more like the weed called leafy spurge to me ! 
Alan, wait to see if it develops yellowy green bracts at the top of 3 ft stems !!   ;)   ;D

Not sure if those bits at the bottom are active or just wilted uprights.  We'll wait a while longer before deciding its fate, if only to settle the bet  ;D

greentapestry

• I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 09:32:30 »
I think that what you have there is linaria purpurea ( purple toadflax ). If it is it has spikes of tiny purple flowers - quite pretty but and a big but - it seeds about everwhere. It does not need staking.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 09:44:17 »
Consider the lily  ;D   I'm with MT. 
I came, I saw, I composted

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 11:06:28 »
I have just read on another board that a cat died a horrible death because he brushed against some stargazer lillies and then proceeded to lick his fur clean.  Apparently, the cat died of dehydration and of liver failure.  I thought I would warn all cat owners to be vigilent with these flowers and maybe to ban them from their homes  That was in Pets corner and I emailed a friend and she said a few years ago her cat died and the symptoms were the same. I think you have to be careful of all lillies with cats and dogs.....

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 18:58:09 »
I agree with greentapestry,  i wasnt aware of the name but GW's description sounds perfect to me.

I have it in my garden, its a preety plant (with purple flowers ;D) but youve got to watch it from spreading, however it easily pulls up if you want to contain it.

Merry, i will gladly take a quid off you   :D

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2005, 19:11:00 »
Forgot to say, besides the purple flower, there is also a variety that can produce a whitish/pinkish flower too.

Will try and post a pic tomorrow.

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2005, 19:34:00 »
With Garden Cadet here, really looks like Euphorbia, so many varieties, just couldn't possibly count.  However, leaves and type of growth are fairly indicative.  Won't flower as you expect, will have flowers which appear to be just a progress of the plant!  But lovely to have in the garden!  Height and structure and go on for ages!

AlanR, yours is definitely a euphorbia!  I love the way they grow, with leaves changing colour and then the show at the top when they feel like it and, in between, they give height and background to other, showier plants!   :D
Muddy Boots

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2005, 20:20:02 »
I'm in the Euphorbia camp!  Had it all over my garden too.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2005, 20:30:57 »
Garden Cadet is RIGHT ! It is a type of euphorbia and takes over the whole of a garden !  So be warned .... :o ::) ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2005, 21:01:14 »
I'm tellin' ya, it's a lily and NO, I am not willing to up the stakes ;D

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2005, 22:31:32 »
Ive just checked out the name that green tapestry gave (linaria purpurea) and after googling that plant, the name she gave is wrong but her description of what this plant is, is spot on.

I have it growing in seven or eight different places in my garden, the stem is fairly tall and rather graceful and then it grows spikes of flowers with small purple buds on them.

From the image i can see why it might be mistaken for a lilly perhaps, but if you saw it in real life you would know for sure that it wasnt a lilly.
Merry i could send you some if you wish  ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2005, 23:17:02 »
Oh for goodness sake you lot, will you flipping well make up your minds :) For the VERY first time when I saw the pic.. I said to myself  I KNOW WHAT THAT IS IT IS A LILY, and now I have got to wait for the outcome and proof as to WHAT it is. Please put me out of my agony ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal